[SOLVED] Random MAC address generator?

Oct 31, 2019
I have a new 8 channel security DVR that replaced an older/clunky one. New one , ZOSI brand, works fine except for the remote viewing. I have the DVR connected to a wireless router that is not WAN connected. I use the router's LAN to monitor the camera feeds via an older android tablet and a ZOSI app. It all comes up and works fine, except every 2 to 5 days the tablet loses connectivity. Have to reboot the DVR to regain remote connectivity. The DVR still functions just fine, perfectly displaying all camera feeds on a monitor, no error messages, just loses remote connection.

Tried a different router, same problem. Purchased Ping Tools app and used it to determine that the DVR was randomly changing it's MAC address. Every time the MAC changes, tablet loses connectivity. Specifically, the ZOSI viewing app on the tablet loses connectivity, I can still ping the DVR from the tablet.

ZOSI replaced the DVR, same issue. They offered a return/refund, but I am tired of DVR shopping at this point.

I thought that MAC addresses were 'burned' into the firmware, and did not change. Is this some new ploy to screw up networks? Or just a manufacturer trying to save a few bucks by not purchasing real MAC addresses?

Thanks,
Mike

Solution
So, a manufacturer will burn in a MAC address, but you can change the MAC address that is broadcast. In Windows, it's pretty straightforward:
The problem here, as least from my perspective, is that this DVR uses "who knows what" for software. So you would have to do some digging to see if this is possible with your specific device.
So, a manufacturer will burn in a MAC address, but you can change the MAC address that is broadcast. In Windows, it's pretty straightforward:
The problem here, as least from my perspective, is that this DVR uses "who knows what" for software. So you would have to do some digging to see if this is possible with your specific device.

Solution