Random, mystery PC crashes

Inflammist

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
I built my rig about a month ago, and right from the get-go the machine had an issue with random crashes. These crashes usually occur about 2-4 times a day at random times, and sometimes the PC will go a day without crashing at all. These crashes are particularly frustrating because the computer doesn't turn all the way off, and the only way to turn it back on is by either unplugging it or switching the PSU off and then on. When the computer crashes all LED's and fans remain on but the monitors lose signal, all peripherals lose power, and the power button becomes unresponsive. Originally I thought it was faulty RAM and discovered that one of the sticks were faulty. After RMA'ing both sticks, the crashes continued despite both new sticks being fine. I should also add that these crashes aren't caused by overheating, or excessive load. It doesn't matter if the PC is in sleep mode, idling on the desktop, or playing graphically intensive games, it will crash randomly. All drivers are up to date and all components are at their factory clock. I've tried using windows event logs and bluescreenview to diagnose the issue but since I have to cut the power to the PC in order to turn it back on, the error logs only display that the PC unexpectedly lost power. I've made multiple posts in different subreddits and have spent hours trying to fix this issue but with my limited technical knowledge I have no way of narrowing the issue down as the crashes appear to be completely random. Based on my previous posts, users suggested that I either had a faulty PSU or that my power consumption was drawing more than the PSU could handle. After buying a brand new PSU and installing it, the crashes are still persisting. At this point I have literally no idea what could be causing the crashes and I just spent 90$ on a PSU that I didn't need. Please help me :(

CPU • AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor

CPU Cooler • Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard • Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory • Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Storage • Drevo - X1 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive • Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card • Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB ROG STRIX Video Card

Power Supply • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1+, 80 Plus Gold 750W

Wireless Network Adapter •Asus - PCE-AC56 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter

LunarDapp

Reputable
Sep 10, 2018

Man you really got yourself a problem. And what looks like to be a rather expensive build. They were on the right track with the PSU, but they didn't consider the in between. This sounds to me to be a motherboard issue. Motherboard issues can make the system do the weirdest stuff ever--and mimic faulty hardware symptoms. Terribly sorry you spent $90 more on a PSU.

Not to mention that this board has some pretty bad reviews regarding durablity on newegg. I am 90% sure its your board, this could also explain how it's passing POST.

Inflammist

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

How would I go about diagnosing whether it is my motherboard? If it is, any suggestions on how to fix it? I've been having these crashes since I built my PC like 3 months ago so an RMA is pretty much out of the question at this point.

LunarDapp

Reputable
Sep 10, 2018

Actually, you'd be surprised at how long manufacturers have a warrant for that part. Actually, on Newegg, your board is under warranty for 3 years from Asus. So definitely look into that.

Click here then go to warranty & returns tab.

Inflammist

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
For anyone wondering, I fixed this issue by uninstalling ASUS AI Suite and Corsair Link. I had read elsewhere on the internet that the two programs were either conflicting or requesting too much information from components, causing an overload. I might not be correct on why it stopped crashing, but it did resolve my issue.