[SOLVED] Random "No Signal Detected" from RTX 3080 Ti ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2021
Hello,
I bought a brand new PC with following specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti
  • 32 GB DDR4-RAM 3200 MHz
  • PSU 750W
  • Mainboard Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2
My problem is that my monitor (BenQ Zowie 240Hz) goes black and displays "no signal detected" randomly, but usually when I try to play. Its like the FPS drop suddenly, it starts to stutter and then the screen goes black but monitor is still on (the light of power button goes inactive to orange) and it shows the "no signal detected" message. Theres no way of getting signal again unless I restart the PC. Which leads me to the conclusion it might be something related with the gpu driver? But I tried installing the most recent drivers and it does not make a difference.
Is my power supply enough with 750W or might this be the problem??

I dont know what to do anymore or what could it be.. It also happens after sometime having the pc on even if im not in a game or anything. Its really frustrating.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Solution
lilaterrible Hello. I agree with wyliec2 that the cable is something that you should look at. Also, since this is a prebuilt, consider also reaching out to customer service, in addition to continuing this message thread. I'm curious to find out what the ultimate cause and solution is for your issue. Is your BenQ Zowie 240Hz a 1440p display? I only ask because it would require higher data bandwidth for the display cable, and again, I'm curious if the cable is the culprit. Speaking of which, did you use a HDMI that came with the display or one that you had lying around?

Addendum: In relation to the PSU, Question: When your monitor states "no signal detected", does your computer...
Aug 30, 2021
I will have to check when im home, it was a pre build system and its just showing 750W Psu.
Could it maybe be that the HDMI is doing the problem? I will try to connect DisplayPort when im home, but do you think it could be because of this?

Although it states a 750W psu is fine for a 3080Ti, its been recommened to over watt to a 1000w PSU. if going with such gpu, to overprovision wattage, 1kW for RTX3080 and 1.2kW for RTX3090, or power-limit the GPU

Link to LinusTechTips PSU tier list LINK Read bullet points 1 and 8 under tier a PSU

Aug 30, 2021
Although it states a 750W psu is fine for a 3080Ti, its been recommened to over watt to a 1000w PSU. if going with such gpu, to overprovision wattage, 1kW for RTX3080 and 1.2kW for RTX3090, or power-limit the GPU

Link to LinusTechTips PSU tier list LINK Read bullet points 1 and 8 under tier a PSU
Right, but it seems strange because this is happening while the PC is not doing anything. No game open or such. Just normal on desktop. IDK why it would use that much Wattage without even using the card to the limit. Seems much more like a driver issue to me

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
I have a 5950x and 3080 ti - they are running fine on a Seasonic 850 watt Gold PSU. Measuring with AIDA 64 the 5950x will draw slightly over 200 watts on CPU intensive work (video encodes) and the 3080 ti will draw 350 watts on GPU intensive games. I haven't found any situation where the CPU and GPU were simultaneously maxed out. That said, as others have mentioned, the very best 750 watt PSU is likely borderline for your build.

My monitor is 3440x1440 @ 180 hz - whenever I have a choice, I prefer display port over HDMI. I'd try a good quality display port cable as a relatively inexpensive attempt to resolve your problems. The problem you describe is similar to what I've found with HDMI cables that didn't support the bandwidth requirements - 4K @ 30 hz would be fine but 4K @ 60 hz and the TV would indicate no source connected.

lilaterrible Hello. I agree with wyliec2 that the cable is something that you should look at. Also, since this is a prebuilt, consider also reaching out to customer service, in addition to continuing this message thread. I'm curious to find out what the ultimate cause and solution is for your issue. Is your BenQ Zowie 240Hz a 1440p display? I only ask because it would require higher data bandwidth for the display cable, and again, I'm curious if the cable is the culprit. Speaking of which, did you use a HDMI that came with the display or one that you had lying around?

Addendum: In relation to the PSU, Question: When your monitor states "no signal detected", does your computer still have power? Does the computer shut down or restart? Which pre-build company did you purchase from? If switching the cable doesn't resolve anything then I still recommend that you open a ticket with them, as this machine is undoubtedly under warranty.

By the way, I once had an 850 watt power supply that would reboot my system simply from updating the Epic launcher for Fortnite; I wasn't even playing the game. It was an EVGA P2 850, which was promptly replaced by EVGA. Hopefully this isn't your problem, but my point is only that it's possible. When you get home, please take a look at the PSU's label on the side and state both the manufacturer and the model of the unit.

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 30, 2021

Addendum: In relation to the PSU, Question: When your monitor states "no signal detected", does your computer still have power? Does the computer shut down or restart? Which pre-build company did you purchase from? If switching the cable doesn't resolve anything then I still recommend that you open a ticket with them, as this machine is undoubtedly under warranty.

By the way, I once had an 850 watt power supply that would reboot my system simply from updating the Epic launcher for Fortnite; I wasn't even playing the game. It was an EVGA P2 850, which was promptly replaced by EVGA. Hopefully this isn't your problem, but my point is only that it's possible. When you get home, please take a look at the PSU's label on the side and state both the manufacturer and the model of the unit.

hi,

so I changed the cable. Didn’t make any difference.
I noticed that the temperature of gpu is too high (90+) before it crashes. Also noticed that the fan of the gpu does not move even at those high temps. I checked the cables to the psu and found that they divide 8 to 2 x 6+2 in which one of those is not connected (????) see picture: https://ibb.co/58wN8xb
Why did they build it like that? Could it be the problem?
the psu is gigabyte p750gm (gold) so Um yeah I guess it’s overheating because the fans don’t move at all.
idk I think I’ll have to return it and get it replace but can someone explain to me why they connected the gpu like that?

thank you in advance

Aug 30, 2021
hi,

so I changed the cable. Didn’t make any difference.
I noticed that the temperature of gpu is too high (90+) before it crashes. Also noticed that the fan of the gpu does not move even at those high temps. I checked the cables to the psu and found that they divide 8 to 2 x 6+2 in which one of those is not connected (????) see picture: https://ibb.co/58wN8xb
Why did they build it like that? Could it be the problem?
the psu is gigabyte p750gm (gold) so Um yeah I guess it’s overheating because the fans don’t move at all.
idk I think I’ll have to return it and get it replace but can someone explain to me why they connected the gpu like that? It just looks super wrong to have 2 lose connectors like that. I don’t understand the purpose.

thank you in advance
Also replying to you, the pc doesn’t shuts down, the monitor also stays on. It just doesn’t gets signal anymore. I tried reloading the drivers with cntrl + shift + windows + B when it happens but it doesn’t help. Only rebooting does.
but as said, my guess is it just gets too hot and crashes..
the monitor is not the problem

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JmPUr-BeEM

If I were you, I would insist upon a replacement power supply at the pre-built maker's cost. Or they should refund you enough money to purchase a new PSU model on your own, and then you can replace it yourself. Watch the video above.

Your picture only shows the cables and not the card, do I don't have an answer. I presume that they are simply spare cables for future expansion, but I don't know that.

Aug 30, 2021
So I bought corsair hx series 80Plus Platinum 1000W, it will arrive tomorrow and I’ll connect that one in hopes that it will finally work.
so exhausting 🤯 I just wanna play finally 🥴

Aug 30, 2021
lilaterrible Understood. Question: Which company built this system for you? And, have you reached out to them yet? I just want to make sure that they do right by you, as you shouldn't have to spend your own money to remedy this problem. I'll send you a DM, if you care to discuss.
Hi,
so the new psu didnt help.
I just came to the conclusion the gpu is faulty. The fans on the gpu itself do not spin at all, I checked if they were properly connected to gpu pcb and they are. I tried to trigger them with msi afterburner but they dont move at all. So thats what causes the overheating on gpu that after reaching +90 degrees shuts down.
So im just returning the whole pc since it was prebuilt.
The company was hyrican.

Anyway thank you all for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.