[SOLVED] Random packet loss

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

andrew051098

Honorable
Nov 2, 2017
Hi,
For the past few months I've been having random packet loss. I run 3 ping tests side by side 8.8.8.8 (google), 1.1.1.1 (cloudflare), and 192.168.1.1 (my router), and all three tests have "request timed out" at the same time every 30 seconds or so, which effects games etc.
Some days it wont happen, or at least I didn't notice it. Sometimes it will be a lot worse, it will say "request timed out" once every 2-3 pings. Changing the speed & duplex from auto to 1Gbps or from 1Gbps to 100Mbps or from 100Mbps to 1Gbps seems to temporarily fix it or at least get it back to how it normally is (timing out once ever 30-40 seconds).
Other devices on my network don't seem to be effected. It seems to only affect the ethernet connection to my PC, when I use a 2.4GHz WiFi USB, the connection is fixed but it's not as fast as an ethernet connection.

Things I've done to try fix it:
  1. I have done a clean install of windows,
  2. Reset int ip, winsock and flushed DNS,
  3. Installed a new gigabit ethernet network card (TP-Link TG-3468),
  4. Bought a new ethernet cable (CAT6),
  5. Reinstalled the newest network drivers and rolled back my network drivers for both the motherboard ethernet and the new network adapter,
  6. Using a new router from my ISP,
  7. My ISP has checked my broadband line multiple times over 2 months and said there is no fault on the line,
  8. Tried different DNS servers.
Strangely I've noticed that playing certain games (not all) will fix the internet 95% of the time until the match finishes and I'm back into the menu, then the packet loss will come back immediately and I can see the frequent "request timed out" again. It might be useless information but I don't know what to say, except that this might point to a setting that's limiting network bandwidth until certain requirements are met, I don't know.
On rare occasions, opening a website will say something like DNS server not responding, and this will trigger a bigger packet loss and request timeouts. And during these times I can trigger it every time I open a website, and this is also fixed by changing the speed & duplex to a different speed and then back again to the original speed, but like I said this is rare- it's usually just random packet loss I face.
My event viewer shows nothing except (name of website) timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

Please will someone help. If there's any info that will help you, please ask.
Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
Problems like this are hard to find. The most common one is there is a issue with 2 devices using the same IP address but it mostly trying to figure out what device seems to break things.
You have replaced everything. Since you get issues to router IP it has to be inside your house...which is a good thing I guess.

All I can think of is you have some kind of conflict between different devices in your house, maybe a duplicate ip or some issue with the subnet mask. All just a guess. I would try it with just that one machine connected and the wifi disabled on the router.

If the router will function without the wan I would try to disconnect the internet. This would eliminate crazy stuff like someone attacking your router and eating up its cpu power.

andrew051098

Honorable
Nov 2, 2017
You have replaced everything. Since you get issues to router IP it has to be inside your house...which is a good thing I guess.

All I can think of is you have some kind of conflict between different devices in your house, maybe a duplicate ip or some issue with the subnet mask. All just a guess. I would try it with just that one machine connected and the wifi disabled on the router.

If the router will function without the wan I would try to disconnect the internet. This would eliminate crazy stuff like someone attacking your router and eating up its cpu power.

After a while the ping tests started to fail again so I did what you suggested and unplugged other devices and when I unplugged a certain ethernet cable it fixed instantly and when I plug it back in, it starts to fail again.
I looked at the routers connection list and my PC was appearing as disconnected even though I can use the internet, do the ping tests and access all the router settings, the other cable I disconnected was also appearing as disconnected and it would join the connected list as soon as I plugged it back in but my PC would still be affected when I did but my PC wouldn't come back into the list of connected devices until I restarted the PC.
I don't think it's got anything to do with the actual device I disconnected because this problem has been happening way before having this new device. So I think the next time it happens it could be a different connection that will be affecting me, like it's picked at random by the router or whatever, I don't know if I explained what I mean properly