random pc restarts after attempting to install RAM's

mtbykn

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016
Hello everyone,

My computer had two (2x8 GB) HyperX Savage CL9 1600 MHZ RAM's already installed on it. I decided to get another 16 gigs of RAM. I purchased a 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro CL9 1600 MHZ set, (although I found out later that it wasn't the brightest of ideas to buy different brand RAM kits) and after installing them on the motherboard, I realized from BIOS that they were running on 1333 Mhz instead of 1600. I tried to enable the XMP profile, which was already enabled for my already existing HyperX set, I reapplied Profile #1 in XMP settings, I even removed my original HyperX savages and replaced them with the new Corsair's, and redid the first two steps so the BIOS would configure itself accordingly but none of those worked. Trying to render with unmatched MHZ's resulted in a BSOD almost instantly.

I then consulted with the store and they told me that my motherboard (ASUS H-87 PLUS) was compatible with the Corsair's and suggested that I do a BIOS update. I went on the ASUS site but the updates required me to install Intel Management Engine Interface (i7-4790k) first, so I did and then updated the BIOS. I still couldn't manage to get the Corsair's to run at 1600 MHZ, therefore I returned them to the store and got a refund. They later tested the RAM's and they were indeed 1600 MHZ.

Anyways afterwards began my problem. My PC began restarting every 24 hours or so. There isn't any freezing or anything, it just restarts as if the reset button was pressed. In all instances, I was just navigating through 3ds Max, CPU usage was around %1-3 and had plenty of RAM space available. I checked the event log and it displayed Kernel Power 41 (63) with zeroes in the detailed log.

Naturally I assumed the problem was related to my BIOS updates as the PC was running flawlessly for the past 1,5 years. Could this problem have originated from installing the Intel MEI drivers, updating the BIOS (I am unsure if I managed to update properly, even though my BIOS displays that I have the latest version for now), or changing my HyperX ram settings unintentionally? My money is on the BIOS update, but I am not sure what to do at this point as I don't want to screw up any more of my settings. I would appreciate any help or suggestions at this point :(

Regards,

Solution
What was your BIOS version prior to flashing?

Asus recommends using the BIOS Updater Tool before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors, they suggest that you first download the BIOS Updater Tool for new Intel 4th Gen Core Processors and then update the BIOS using that tool.

WSCommcntr4.exe has been known to cause AutoCAD to become unresponsive and possibly crash.

Causes:
Insufficient Windows Privileges.

Is AutoCAD a program you use?

Running multiple memory kits is not recommended. I suggest using just one kit and setting the AI Overclock Tuner to XMP.
I suggest you list the model number of the memory you are referring to or a link to it.

You make a reference to Intel Management Engine Interface (i7-4790k). I'm guessing this is the processor you are using - i7-4790k.

When changing memory, clearing the CMOS may help eliminate problems.

mtbykn

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016
Hey Calvin,

HyperX Savage: HX316C9SRK2/16
Here are the spec sheets: http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX316C9SRK2_16.pdf

Corsair Vengeance Pro: http://www.corsair.com/en/vengeance-pro-series-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr3-dram-1600mhz-c9-memory-kit-cmy16gx3m2a1600c9

And yes, sorry for the confusion, I am using i7 - 4790k. Didn't want to post a lot of details to keep the post as short as possible :)

I am currently interested in fixing the random restarts. Even though I removed the Corsair's a couple days back, I have been getting these restarts. Do you think it might have fiddled with my BIOS settings even after I removed them? If so, clearing the CMOS sounds like a good idea.

mtbykn

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016
Here are my crash logs. The PFN_LIST_ERROR BSOD was right after I installed the Corsair RAM kit. The other two are the ones that happened randomly after I removed the ram's :/

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 13.10.2016 09:21:49 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\WSCommCntr4.exe.824.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown ()
Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: CUSTOM_ERROR

On Wed 12.10.2016 10:08:34 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\WSCommCntr4.exe.4832.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown ()
Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: CUSTOM_ERROR

On Sat 08.10.2016 11:48:19 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100816-6505-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x6F400)
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x99, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

What was your BIOS version prior to flashing?

Asus recommends using the BIOS Updater Tool before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors, they suggest that you first download the BIOS Updater Tool for new Intel 4th Gen Core Processors and then update the BIOS using that tool.

WSCommcntr4.exe has been known to cause AutoCAD to become unresponsive and possibly crash.

Causes:
Insufficient Windows Privileges.

Is AutoCAD a program you use?

Running multiple memory kits is not recommended. I suggest using just one kit and setting the AI Overclock Tuner to XMP.

Solution

mtbykn

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016
Thank you so much!

Turns out, you were right. I never thought the actual dump file name could give a hint about the problem. Since this had never occurred before and the problems started right after I attempted to install the RAM's and updated the BIOS, I naturally assumed it was related with my hardware settings. Simply disabling the wscommcntr4.exe fixed the problem and no more random restarts for me.

Once again, thanks :)