Question Random PC Shutdown. No BSOD.

Apr 26, 2019
Hello, I recently built my first PC. It was all great for few days until I started gaming. First few matches in Fortnite was good, recently I started experiencing random shutdowns middle of the matches. Initially I thought it maybe my RAM, so I did a memtest overnight with no errors after 4 successful tests. Then I turned off the Window's automatic restart to see if I get a BSOD, surprisingly I did not. My CPU Core temperatures are normal throughout the operations. I tried reinstalling Windows 10, still no luck. I decided to try the prime95 test. The PC keeps shutting down after few minutes in. Recently, I noticed it reboots sometimes and then shuts down again to reboot to windows 10 again. I tried updating my BIOS also. I don't believe it to be a faulty PSU, in fact I realized during my prime95 tests that my vin14 voltage slowly drops from around 0.940 to 0.650 s. I am not sure if that is normal.

System Specs:
CPU: Intel i8700k 3.7 Ghz
Mobo: MSi Z390-A Pro
RAM: G Skills Rip Jaw 16gb 2400Mhz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 OC 6gb
Storage: Samsung SSD 860Evo 1 Tb
Cooler: Cooler Master Ml240L RGB
PSU: EVGA 650 Watt GQ (80+ Gold)

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019
I seem to have fixed the problem. I upgraded my PSU to a x850 Corsair Gold 80+. I know its a bit overkill, but when I took out my EVGA 650 Watt GQ, I noticed some bent capacitors inside the PSU. Maybe that was causing the problems. I did an RMA. I tried Prime95 tests again, it used to shutdown after the third 8k test, however it runs past that now without any problems. I can't believe there were bent capacitors inside a brand new PSU.