Random Ping Spikes

Jun 10, 2018
I have been getting random ping spikes for the last couple of months now. It ranges from massive lag spikes in Fortnite to constant rubber-banding in Overwatch to getting disconnected from the uplay servers every now and then when playing For Honor and Farcry 4. My download and upload speeds haven't changed and nothing I can think of has changed to cause this. I'm using a powerline adapter to connect my PC via ethernet cable. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Could be bufferbloat (swamped connection), powerline not stable, or line quality poor from modem to isp.

If you can monitor your routers current usage you can see when it's swamped. Anytime it's buffering you will see latency or dropped packs. It's usually from downloads and would stay very high until the download finishes. Streaming can do it if your internet speed is low, but it would only lag for a few seconds every 10-15seconds.

Powerlines are always a gamble for connection quality. There isn't a way to troubleshoot this easily. If it doesn't work you just have to test with a cable and if the problem goes away then figure out how to get a cable run in.