[SOLVED] Random ping spikes

Dec 14, 2021
Hi, since last week I have been getting random ping spikes to 200 or 300 Ms every 2-4 seconds.

When I ping 8.8.8.8 I get ~3ms and then every 4th or 5th ping it jumps too 200-400ms. So when I'm gaming too every 2 seconds there's a small pause making any online fps game kind of unplayable.

2 days ago I did the netsh autoconfig command and turned the wifi interface off and on and that fixed the problem till today(it didnt get fixed when i turned it off, but when i turned it off and back on it started working smoothly again). But now even that doesn't work. Any idea what's causing this problem? Could it be a hardware issue? My wifi speed is 50-70mbps although it's a public wifi of my apartment. But I don't see how that's the issue as I temporarily fixed it with the netsh command a few days ago. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Solution
Run tracert and ping the first IP in the trace this should be your apartment router. If you see the issue here it is a wifi problem. If it is good then there could be some issue with the ISP or your apartment building equipment.

This might be one of those you are not going to fix it things.

Your are first using wifi which is know for getting ping spikes. It pretty much only affects online games most other application have no issues with ping spikes. Next you have no control over the wifi. Some of the tricks like changing radio channels or changing the channel width are not valid because you can not make any changes to their router.
In addition you are sharing the wifi bandwidth with people you do not know. Someone could...
Run tracert and ping the first IP in the trace this should be your apartment router. If you see the issue here it is a wifi problem. If it is good then there could be some issue with the ISP or your apartment building equipment.

Your are first using wifi which is know for getting ping spikes. It pretty much only affects online games most other application have no issues with ping spikes. Next you have no control over the wifi. Some of the tricks like changing radio channels or changing the channel width are not valid because you can not make any changes to their router.
In addition you are sharing the wifi bandwidth with people you do not know. Someone could be downloading a big game or something which will greatly affect the ping spikes you see.

Reactions: Rocknrj
Solution
Dec 14, 2021

In addition you are sharing the wifi bandwidth with people you do not know. Someone could be downloading a big game or something which will greatly affect the ping spikes you see.

So I did the tracert command and pinged the first address and the issue is still there. Does that mean it's an issue with my device?