[RANDOM QUESTION] Why is there such a drastic difference?

AcePotato

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2014
Hello! I just did a speed test on my internet and I got about 6 mbps dow. and 0.50 up and I just wondered why there is such a big difference in speeds?!

P.S sorry if this is in the wrong thread, im still sorta new here :)

Solution
Usually it's the other way around. Download speeds are often MUCH higher than upload speeds. This is because most people don't upload much, but do download a lot, so internet provider companies focus more on that for consumers.
Because that is what your ISP is providing you with. Most people don't need a large upload speed as much of their traffic that is outbound into the ether of the internet is mouse clicks on web links and email. ISPs realize this so don't allocate as much bandwidth to upstream traffic, freeing up bandwidth for downstream traffic instead.

Your speeds look backward. Are you sure you haven't gotten the two mixed up?

USAFRet

Titan

Is this test done wired to the router, or wireless?
The only speed test that really counts is if you are wired directly to the router.
With WiFi, it could be a whole host of issues.

AcePotato

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2014

It was done wirelessly but when i do it wired the results are usually lower ha my internet is weird!

AcePotato

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2014

Yeah i may have mixed up the download speed and upload speed! Thanks for the help!

AcePotato

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2014

Just did some tests and worked out my average download speed is 2.18 mbps and upload speed is 0.87 mbps!

USAFRet

Titan

Do a test at speedtest.net, when wired, and port the results here.

If you initially see a high burst speed, that then settles down, you could be subject to a sort of boosting effect by your ISP. Some companies such as Comcast will boost the first few seconds of downstream traffic as it can significantly improve the end user's usage of things such as streaming video. Buffering in the first few seconds is the most crucial, and once that's done, the connection will ramp down to somewhere around half of the burst speed.

In most cases the ISP has designed you connection to run with a higher download than upload speed because people download more than upload. For example say you have 6m total bandwidth they may divide it 4m down 2m up. One of the easier ones to understand this is with cable. If you look at the docsis standard you will see how they allocate different numbers of channels up and down. Other platforms like dsl are not as simple but it is pretty much something the ISP has designed to work that way.