[SOLVED] Random Reboots - can't find the cause ?

Jan 19, 2024
over the past 2-3 weeks i have been facing this issue, I really don't know what to do because i tried almost everything and did a lot of google research.

the issue: the PC "restarts " at random intervals, last time it worked for 18hours, the next time 1hour...and it's been like that since. for gaming sometimes it can last 5 hours, for others it can crash in the very first minutes of playing. I can't seem to find a pattern trigger for this issue and it just happens whenever it wants, and when it happens it looks the pc is shutting off and restarting again. (all the fans stop spining for a moment and they get back online)

i have checked temps are they def fine, even did some cleaning to the cpu cooler and got better temps but the problem is still happening.

this is what i have done so far:
replaced gpu
replaced ram
replaced psu
clean windows install
disabling automatic restarts in options in windows
clean linux install
removing case connectors and only leaving the PW switch connected
removing cmos battery and using a new one

the only thing that i haven't tried yet it's the motherboard and the CPU because i don't have spare parts, i never updated bios but i don't think that's a problem because i have been using the same pc for +5years.

myspecs:
600w evgapsu
rx 570 8gb
asrock h81m-vg4 r2.0
i5-4460
1tb HD
16ram DDR3

over the past 2-3 weeks i have been facing this issue, I really don't know what to do because i tried almost everything and did a lot of google research.

the issue: the PC "restarts " at random intervals, last time it worked for 18hours, the next time 1hour...and it's been like that since. for gaming sometimes it can last 5 hours, for others it can crash in the very first minutes of playing. I can't seem to find a pattern trigger for this issue and it just happens whenever it wants, and when it happens it looks the pc is shutting off and restarting again. (all the fans stop spining for a moment and they get back online)

i have checked temps are they def fine, even did some cleaning to the cpu cooler and got better temps but the problem is still happening.

this is what i have done so far:
replaced gpu
replaced ram
replaced psu
clean windows install
disabling automatic restarts in options in windows
clean linux install
removing case connectors and only leaving the PW switch connected
removing cmos battery and using a new one

the only thing that i haven't tried yet it's the motherboard and the CPU because i don't have spare parts, i never updated bios but i don't think that's a problem because i have been using the same pc for +5years.

myspecs:
600w evgapsu
rx 570 8gb
asrock h81m-vg4 r2.0
i5-4460
1tb HD
16ram DDR3
That motherboards gotta be damn near 10 years old! I'd say the capacitors have gone kaput.

Jan 19, 2024
That motherboards gotta be damn near 10 years old! I'd say the capacitors have gone kaput.
yeah I need to upgrade. I was planning to do it soon anyway but this problem has been a pain because the issue it's so hard to replicate. I'm worried that the issue will persist even after changing parts. as for the motherboard I don't really see any budging capacitors, but seems it's the most logic option at this point. has anyone had this problem with a MB before? because i'm still not sure if it's the psu or not. i may do another test with the psu with another PC and leaving it on but it's gonna take me a lot of time.
Is your bios up to date?
no, i'm using the one that came with the MB that worked fine for me since i built the PC.
--
added to the post that i checked eventviewer and doesn't really say much, just the typical power failure error.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024
update if anyone is interested: it was the CPU (probably)

I was able to recreate the issue with OCCT and the PC would always crash on the CPU stability test in the very first minutes (didn't even reach 5mins without rebooting), I went to BIOS and disabled all cores exept 1 and the PC didn't crash with the same test for 1 hour.

still could be a motherboard-related problem but none of the other components tests made my PC crash so it probably was the CPU 99%.

TRENDING THREADS