Question Random reboots while playing games

Dec 8, 2020
Currently, my pc keeps rebooting while playing, even though I havent altered my hardware. All it says is a critical error that caused a reboot due to an error in power supply or hardware. I've already been looking around for some solution, but here's the events up to this point that could have impacted it:

I got a new monitor and tv, which after having installed ended up causing a BSOD for my pc. Got that fixed, the culprit seemed to have been AVG having installed a wrong driver that corrupted the system. I was able to play for a very short time before the BSOD(1-2 games), which has not been enough to establish a pre-existing issue with the power itself or the monitors. The new monitor doesnt have any issues with rendering things in 4k, not even stressing my hardware that much. Other than my graphics card being slightly outdated, it shouldnt be rebooting the pc itself if it was the graphics card failing.

After repairs, I reinstalled all the things I used to have and the game keeps crashing at random moments, but only when I am actually in a match. Sometimes I can play multiple matches before a reboot, sometimes it reboots during the loading screen.
To be certain, I removed quite a lot of unnecessary devices from the powergrid, which seems to have improved the average length that I remain in a match, but it ultimately still reboots.

I changed the energy plan for the pc from high performance to energy saving, and used my old monitor. Normally, this wouldnt have changed the picture, but it went from 1080HD, to barely 480p. Which does allow games to run, albeit relatively laggy on my side.

I have used this PC 5 years, never had any issues like this prior to this moment. I dont have the specs memorized, so I'll post that later when I get home, but I am not convinced the hardware is the issue here as even the repairman stated that the hardware was working fine.

Dec 8, 2020
Processor: Intel core i7-6700K 4ghz
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Z170
RAM: 32 GB
GPU1: Intel Xeon E3
GPU2(main): Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 (getting upgraded soon)
PSU: Corsair VS650 Model 75-001837

I also have done a benchmark in case I forgot anything important and for a 5 year old PC, most components are still fine IMO. It obviously shows the processor heavily underperforming. One of the pins was bent slightly, but I heavily doubt that was the issue.

As for additional information: this happened before only during the summer and only during the hottest times of the day after multiple hours of intense gameplay and adding more airflow used to fix it. I am guessing that it could potentially have been the PSU overheating.

Dec 8, 2020
Malware cant really be a problem, as the previous mentioned repairs included a complete reinstallment of the software. The RAM isnt really the issue for the reboots. I actually turned off the XMP profile after the issues started because it made the PC overall run better(which is indeed weird, but its far from being a priority to me). I plan to turn it on once I fix the reboots. And I did fix the pin immediately hoping it would at least help a tiny bit, but it didnt make a difference.

As for the temperatures, they range from 30-70C. It could technically peak to 100+ right before reboot, but I have tried keeping an eye on temperatures and the highest I've seen was 10 seconds before a forced reboot while it was at 74C.