Question Random Restarts - Need some advice please

nabed4t

Prominent
Jan 12, 2019
Hey everyone,
Over the last month I’ve started having issues with my new PC crashing. It’s only ever happens when I’m gaming, so far it’s happened in Fallout 4 and GTA 5. There doesn’t seem to be a pattern, some times I can play for 5 hours and it doesn’t happen, other times I will play for 10 minutes and it happens. The weird thing is it seems to correspond to when I do something in a game, like click on an object or open a door. If the game is running, but I’m away from the PC it doesn’t seem to happen. So, what happens is this, the computer hard resets every time, no BSOD, no error codes. GPU and CPU temps are fine, I’ve tried to catch the LCD code display on the MOBO when it happens but the code may change by the time I look at it, I think it displays a code “54” on the MOBO, but I may be wrong.

What I’ve tried so far:
  • I’ve checked the event viewer: I’m not really sure what I’m looking at but there does seem to be a consistent code posted at the time of the crash. A Critical error, Source Kernel-Power with the event ID 41. I’ve read that this could be a faulty power supply. There are however quite a few error codes in the event viewer ranging from “The SecDrv service failed to start due to the following error: This driver has been blocked from loading”, to “The server {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.” I’m unsure if these are related.
  • I’ve checked the reliability history which shows a critical error at the time of the crash that states “Windows was not properly shut down”.
  • I’ve checked all the connections on the PC, re-seated the RAM and scanned for virus/malware with no change.
  • I’ve changed the power connectors/power boards with no change.
  • I’ve run Memtest86 and this has come up with a few errors. I have no idea how to interpret these results so I’m hoping that someone here may be able to help. Here is the link to the results and pics of the scan.
    • I've got a text file that memtest made, but I'm unsure how to upload this to the forum.
I haven’t yet contacted the supplier I bought the components from; I wanted to try and suss out what the cause of the crashes are. Any advice on what I should do next would be greatly appreciated. What I’m planning to do is to run Memtest again with only one stick of RAM to see if I still get the errors. Is there anything else I should complete?

Thanks heaps.
Dan

Specs

OS: Windows 10 Pro, OS Version 10.0.18363.657 (Win10 19H2 [1909] October 2019 Update)
MOBO: MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC Motherboard
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 Modular 650W Power Supply
HDD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5in SATA SSD 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM008, Kingston SA1000 M.2 NVMe SSD 240GB

HTqlnkF.jpg

w5ed3Us.jpg

A7R8wMH.jpg

BzviTrT.jpg

nabed4t

Prominent
Jan 12, 2019
memtest errors mean the memory is the problem. good memory will return no errors even after many passes. 16 one pass, 8 another is not good.

Thanks for the reply. I've retested the RAM one stick at a time and only one stick is giving errors. I've contacted the company I bought them off and I'm sending them back for a replacement.

Cheers.