Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
This are my PC specs
Ryzen 3 1200
Gtx1050 Asus expedition
4Gb corsair vengeance
500+160seagate HDD physical
450W corsair VS450
Installed a fresh version of windows 10 1607 yesterday so, no software issues I guess
For about a week my Pc randomly restarts
Idle or playing games or just browsing the web suddenly the screen goes black
I get a "no signal detected " and then suddenly I start to POST and into the BIOS I get

I don't know what to do any help would be great(y)

Last edited:
Solution
If this is effectively with a breadboarded system and your 12V rail is showing up to 12.9 then bingo we have a problem!
Max it should be is 12.6V anything beyond that is an immediate RMA for me.

CX is a much better series.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
  • Do you have latest BIOS installed?
  • Does the restart still occur in safe mode?
  • Do you have latest drivers installed (not using a driver updater app)?
  • How long have you had the VS PSU?
  • Are you running any overclock or XMP at all?
  • Have you monitored CPU and GPU temps?

Colif

Win 11 Master
why are you using 1607 when 1909 was released this week? That won't fix the rebooting in bios, its just more a question of why. A 3 year old version of win 10 isn't going to be any better than the latest.

can you test GPU in another PC and see if it does same in it as well?

Does card have more than one power connector? If so, does it have an led that shows if its getting an even flow? MY Asus GTX 980 has 2 led that show as green if flow is adequate. I only ask as similar happened to me, I didn't have the cable firmly attached and my 4k monitor would just turn off.

Last edited:

JackFrostSekhose

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
why are you using 1607 when 1909 was released this week? That won't fix the rebooting in bios, its just more a question of why. A 3 year old version of win 10 isn't going to be any better than the latest.

can you test GPU in another PC and see if it does same in it as well?

Does card have more than one power connector? If so, does it have an led that shows if its getting an even flow? MY Asus GTX 980 has 2 led that show as green if flow is adequate. I only ask as similar happened to me, I didn't have the cable firmly attached and my 4k monitor would just turn off.

I use the 1607 because I live in a part of India that don't get Microsoft genuine keys
Moreover it reboots even in BIOS so I know it's not windows 10 problem
The graphics is powered solely by the MOBO so I guess it's getting enough power and no led to indicate the power in the graphics card thing... Also when I can boot sometimes I load the PC up using heavy load software and checks how the gfx behaves under load.. And it don't turn off games seems to be crashing it not any other stuffs although suppose I'm browsing and In under 40 mins my screen goes black and for games? Instantaneously... Especially Gfx intensive ones like Battlefield 1 etc
I completed that game on this same Pc when it didn't have any problems and now I can't even load the game

JackFrostSekhose

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
I use the 1607 because I live in a part of India that don't get Microsoft genuine keys
Moreover it reboots even in BIOS so I know it's not windows 10 problem
The graphics is powered solely by the MOBO so I guess it's getting enough power and no led to indicate the power in the graphics card thing... Also when I can boot sometimes I load the PC up using heavy load software and checks how the gfx behaves under load.. And it don't turn off games seems to be crashing it not any other stuffs although suppose I'm browsing and In under 40 mins my screen goes black and for games? Instantaneously... Especially Gfx intensive ones like Battlefield 1 etc
I completed that game on this same Pc when it didn't have any problems and now I can't even load the game

DO you think this could be caused by Driver updates?
Cause I recently installed Nvidias latest version
Also updated BIOS recently

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The graphics is powered solely by the MOBO so I guess it's getting enough power and no led to indicate the power in the graphics card thing
The GPUs with no additional power are still served by the PSU, just the PCIe slot can distribute up to 75W of power,so the 1050 does not need more than that. Having said that, a GPU can still appear to work perfectly normally, however underneath the hood you have ripple. voltage regulation etc to contend with, so the PSu could well have severe rail fluctuations or might not be distributing enough power to physically power the rest of the system.

games seems to be crashing it not any other stuffs
This can also be incredibly indicative of PSU and GPU problems, as when you launch and play a game, you draw a sudden surge of power from the PSU to power the GPU, it's common for faulty PSUs to begin to faulter or trigger protective circuits when this big power draw is made, and thus the PSU shuts down to protect itself.

Being as it is a VS, I'd be more inclined to believe I'd be swapping PSU with a good quality model and retesting.

DO you think this could be caused by Driver updates?
Cause I recently installed Nvidias latest version
Also updated BIOS recently
It CAN, but is usually less likely, driver issues tend to more often result in bug checks (BSOD) or strange behaviour, outright sudden restarts when starting a game is more commonly hardware. But it's certainly not unheard of to be software.

Did the restarts only occur after updating GPU drivers and BIOS?

JackFrostSekhose

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
The GPUs with no additional power are still served by the PSU, just the PCIe slot can distribute up to 75W of power,so the 1050 does not need more than that. Having said that, a GPU can still appear to work perfectly normally, however underneath the hood you have ripple. voltage regulation etc to contend with, so the PSu could well have severe rail fluctuations or might not be distributing enough power to physically power the rest of the system.

This can also be incredibly indicative of PSU and GPU problems, as when you launch and play a game, you draw a sudden surge of power from the PSU to power the GPU, it's common for faulty PSUs to begin to faulter or trigger protective circuits when this big power draw is made, and thus the PSU shuts down to protect itself.

Being as it is a VS, I'd be more inclined to believe I'd be swapping PSU with a good quality model and retesting.

It CAN, but is usually less likely, driver issues tend to more often result in bug checks (BSOD) or strange behaviour, outright sudden restarts when starting a game is more commonly hardware. But it's certainly not unheard of to be software.

Did the restarts only occur after updating GPU drivers and BIOS?
Thank you for the replies... Makes a lot of sense

I tested the Molex connectors under load using multimeter and the yellow wire seems to be drawing about 12.8 12.9 when idle... But it keeps fluctuating
The voltage alwys regulates at 12.3,12.4,12.5-12.9
Its never stable
The restarts occurs when the power drops to 12.3
But since it has a tolerance of about +-5%,
I ruled this out....
I think I'll just get a new PSU.. I'll update after I get it..
I'll be getting the CX 550

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If this is effectively with a breadboarded system and your 12V rail is showing up to 12.9 then bingo we have a problem!
Max it should be is 12.6V anything beyond that is an immediate RMA for me.

CX is a much better series.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS