Question Random restarts under load

volatilebullfrog

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Hi folks, I hope someone here can help me further narrow down what's causing me the latest round of grief. I recently moved my PC into a new desk and fear I may have inadvertently shocked something, as it has begun to restart randomly when it's under load and wasn't doing that prior to the furniture rearrangement. I can watch Youtube for hours and not have a problem, but if I'm playing a game it will eventually restart out of the blue, sometimes a few times in a row. There's no BSOD, just a cut to black and a second later it's rebooting. This happens when a variety of games are running.

EventViewer shows a critical error for these: Source shows Kernel-Power, Event ID 41, BugCheckCode 0, all 0's or 0x0's down the details.
I've run Memtest86 and it found no problems with my RAM.
MWMonitor didn't report any high temps that I could see.
I installed HWinfo64 to generate a log and got it to capture a restart event last night, but I'm not sure if anything is off about it; nothing's jumping out at me. Except maybe the power reporting deviation column? It's consistently >100%.

I'm running the following:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-core
Mobo: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, BIOS v1.A0 dated 5/21/22
RAM: Team Group DDR4-2400 2x16GB CAS16 on XMP
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 on GeForce driver 527.56 (though I see 528.02 just released yesterday)
PSU: Corsair RM850x 80plus gold 850W
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB on NVMe

Any help would be appreciated. My guess is maybe I sparked the PSU in moving things around and setting it up in its new home, or maybe the mobo?

Lutfij

Titan
Mobo: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, BIOS v1.A0 dated 5/21/22
Are you sure you got the make and model of the motherboard right? I don't see that BIOS version listed on their support site, here;
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-B550-GAMING-PLUS/support

Try and use CPU-Z and see what the BIOS version is listed under Mainboard's tab.

I recently moved my PC into a new desk and fear I may have inadvertently shocked something, as it has begun to restart randomly when it's under load and wasn't doing that prior to the furniture rearrangement.
Can you elaborate on this? New case or new desk?

Try relocating to another wall outlet and see if the issue persists. Also, do you feel a mild tingling sensation when you touch the metal part of your chassis while your feet are makin contact with a bare titled(non-wooden, non-carpeted)floor?

volatilebullfrog

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
"Are you sure you got the make and model of the motherboard right? I don't see that BIOS version listed on their support site, here;
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-B550-GAMING-PLUS/support

Try and use CPU-Z and see what the BIOS version is listed under Mainboard's tab."

Strange that Speccy didn't provide the full revision. Going direct into the UEFI I got E7C56AMSv1.A0 -- flashed the BIOS to the latest version, E7C56AMSv1.B0.

"Can you elaborate on this? New case or new desk?

Try relocating to another wall outlet and see if the issue persists. Also, do you feel a mild tingling sensation when you touch the metal part of your chassis while your feet are makin contact with a bare titled(non-wooden, non-carpeted)floor?"

I changed to a new desk, but now that I think about it, I used a different surge protector too. No tingles (static, ASMR, or of excitement) when holding the case that I can notice. Had not considered it might be a bad outlet on the thing.. I did move it to a different port on the surge protector and tested with Kerbal running, a long Youtube vid, and HWinfo running a log, and for the hour or so of testing it's been good so far!

Crossing my fingers that one of those two things worked. I'm going to try and run a benchmark to stress test, and I'll follow up with the results. Here's hoping I can mark it solved.

volatilebullfrog

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Okay! It survived several 3DMark benchmarks without so much as a flicker. Thanks so much, I'm going to mark this as solved. Either it was an alpha version of the BIOS no longer maintained on MSI's site, or I have a bad outlet on this surge protector. Going to tape over it just to be safe.

volatilebullfrog

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Well shoot. That didn't fix it after all. It's continuing to restart randomly, sometimes at idle, sometimes while under load.
I've tried another power strip on a completely different plug in the room, same deal.