[SOLVED] Random shutdowns and red CPU light ?

May 10, 2022
System
PRO Z690-A WIFI
Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (2x16GB) 5600MHz DDR5
Noctua NH-U12A
WD Black SN850 1TB
ASUS Dual GeForce GTX 1070 8GB OC (running until I can get a 30 series card)
Fractal Design Focus G
Segotep 1000W Power Supply Fully Modular
Windows 11

So let me start out saying I am not a super in depth PC tech guy. I like to build PC's but I have a lot to learn. I am an industrial technician in my day job and do not work on computers for a living. That being said I put this PC together a few weeks ago. Ran some stress tests on it and all was good. When running Cinabench my CPU temp was up around 90c so I wanted to get a little better air flow through my case so I picked up 2 140mm case fans to replace the 120mm ones in the front of the case. I shut the computer down installed the new case fans and rerouted my cpu cooler wires. Fired the machine back up and went to run Cinabench to run my test. It ran for about a minute and the computer shut down and gave me a red cpu light on the motherboard. It automatically restarted and did the same thing.

The more times it restarted the less time it would run. So starting simple I unplugged the fans that I had just installed (no change). I then unseated everything from the mother board and reseated (no change). I cleared the CMOS this made the only change as cinabench ran for about 2 minutes. But I restarted it after that and it would barley start the test and shuts down. I am at a loss what to try next as I don't have any parts to throw at it because everything is so new. If anyone could give me some troubleshooting steps that would be great. Thank you.

Solution
As a basic functioning test,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

What does your motherboard manual say is a possible cause for the cpu red light?

Are you connecting both 8 pin eps psu cables to the motherboard?
Possibly you confused the 8 pin eps cables with the 8 pin pcie cables.
Are the proper ends connected to the psu?

A failure over time usually indicates a heat issue.
But, in this...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you're able to get into BIOS, can you check and see what version you're working with on your motherboard? The other thing I'd start looking at, is making sure the cables for your GPU cooler fans(as stated prior in your thread) are as they were prior to be rerouted and managed.

Can you pass a link or perhaps the make and model of the two case fans that you'd added onto the case? As for your PSU, how old is the unit is said build?

May 10, 2022
The bios is the most current version 7D25vA3

I have checked the cables multiple time. I also disconnected all fans minus one cpu fan with no change. I don’t have the model of the fan currently they are a Be Quiet brand (a friend ran them for approximately a month and took them out of his system) but since I eliminated it from the equation I doubt that is the issue.

The power supply was purchased from eBay according to the seller it was sitting on the shelf for approximately a year not used. The box was sealed when it arrived at my house. I have no reason to suspect it was used prior to me receiving it.

I am not by the pc currently but can get more information tonight if needed. Thank you for your help.

Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you're able to get into BIOS, can you check and see what version you're working with on your motherboard? The other thing I'd start looking at, is making sure the cables for your GPU cooler fans(as stated prior in your thread) are as they were prior to be rerouted and managed.

Can you pass a link or perhaps the make and model of the two case fans that you'd added onto the case? As for your PSU, how old is the unit is said build?

As a basic functioning test,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

What does your motherboard manual say is a possible cause for the cpu red light?

Are you connecting both 8 pin eps psu cables to the motherboard?
Possibly you confused the 8 pin eps cables with the 8 pin pcie cables.
Are the proper ends connected to the psu?

A failure over time usually indicates a heat issue.
But, in this case, I suspect a power issue under load.
The noctua NH-U12A is a fine cooler.
The supplied paste is very good.
I would expect to see 10-15c. over ambient at idle if the cooler was mounted well and is getting sufficient airflow.
90c. under load is not a cause for alarm.

Last edited:
Solution
May 10, 2022
So on a different forum it was suggested that the power supply be suspect. They were correct I picked up a Corsair 1000w power supply and the system is stable now. Thank you for your replies.