Question Random shutdowns, memtest86 errors with XMP enabled

Jul 14, 2020
I´m really desesperated and you guys/girls are my only way to know what exactly happens...

specs:

i7-7700k

MSI Z270 gaming m3

Flarex 3200mhz CL14 8x2

RTX 2070

So 1 week ago after 1 year of having 0 problems I started having random shutdowns. There was no blue screen, the computer just lost power instantly and restarted itself again, This then would happen at random times during the day.

I decided to check RAM as all my temperatures were low(70º gaming 50º idle). I passed memtest86 and I had like over 10k errorsand the test stopped. Then I passed it again, and although I had less errors, I still had like 600. So I tried every RAM stick at every slot to check every single combination and without XMP every test passed correctly.

Then tried using both sticks without XMP and everything was OK.

The problem arises when XMP is on. Also, I ordered 2 different RAM sticks(Corsair LPX 3200mhz) and they have the same issue: No errors without XMP and errors with XMP.

So right now I dont know how to continue, I would really like to know whats happening, why my system was fully stable for a year with XMP and then suddenly I can have this kind of error? I also do not have spare mobos/cpu to test so I need to narrow ASAP the problem to replace the part... I also tried to reflash the BIOS, i cleared CMOS... Nothing worked.

Thank you!

I can attach memtest log files too if needed

Dec 12, 2019
i have the exact same problem and don't know what to do ...it suddnly shutdown like you pulled the plug off then restarted itself again...it even restarted during monitoring bios readings.... my suspect is at the power supply may be thats symptoms of a dying psu ?

Jul 14, 2020
i have the exact same problem and don't know what to do ...it suddnly shutdown like you pulled the plug off then restarted itself again...it even restarted during monitoring bios readings.... my suspect is at the power supply may be thats symptoms of a dying psu ?
I dont think its the PSU at all, I´m inclined to think its the CPU that has gotten damaged but no way to test it...