Random Shutdowns While Gaming

e46fanatic1996

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
Hi everyone, I built my pc in 2014 and it’s been great since. However recently I’m experiencing unusual random shutdowns. It’ll usually happen when I’m gaming but yesterday occurred during normal usage.

I5 4670k
Asus Maximus vi hero
Ddr3 1866 8gb
Samsung 850 pro 1TB
wd 1TB hdd
Corsair cx750
Fractal refine r5
Gtx 1070 EVGA FTW
Nzxt t40 respire cooler

I don’t overclock, load temps hover around 60-65 on the cpu and 65-70 on the gpu.

What I’ve tried:
-replacing psu
-reapplying TIM
-reinstalling windows 10 on a brand new ssd

What I’m contemplating:
-RMA gpu from EVGA
-replacing everything lol

Stress tests on both gpu and cpu don’t cause shutdowns. Mem test shows now errors. All my drivers are updated.

And btw, when it shuts down, my monitor loses power as well. It goes black, then reboots with the dell logo, and then goes into sleep mode since it’s not getting a signal. Normal shutdowns just put the monitor in sleep mode. The socket in my house is fine because one line connects all the power so if it was my electrical, the entire room would lose power and it doesn’t.

Pls any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
41 (63) is a hardware error or error with its drivers but it's non-specific so hard to say what to attribute it to. Here's the standard checklist:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-us/308cbcb3-46ce-4f74-85f9-d87ce4cef0d6/kernel-power-event-id-41-task-category-63-spontaneous-improper-shutdowns-and-reboots?forum=w7itproperf
that you can look into after you figure out if it's your wiring/outlet/grounding. Considering you've replaced your psu and checked your memory (did you run minimum 8 passes with memtest?), it doesn't leave you with a lot of possibilities.

Sedivy

Estimable
Can you pull up the event viewer and then check for critical events (marked with a red circle with ! through it) with a timestamp that's within a few minutes of the shutdown. When you find it, write out event ID and description.

e46fanatic1996

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017

event ID 41
desc. The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

e46fanatic1996

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017

no surge protector, top and bottom of the wall outlet. i have nothing else connected

bignastyid

Titan

You should really be using a surge protector.

Try a different outlet My guess would be a problem with that outlet. If it was just an issue with the computer it shouldn't be removing power from the monitor.

e46fanatic1996

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017

will do and will report back. thanks for the advice!

Sedivy

Estimable
41 (63) is a hardware error or error with its drivers but it's non-specific so hard to say what to attribute it to. Here's the standard checklist:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-us/308cbcb3-46ce-4f74-85f9-d87ce4cef0d6/kernel-power-event-id-41-task-category-63-spontaneous-improper-shutdowns-and-reboots?forum=w7itproperf
that you can look into after you figure out if it's your wiring/outlet/grounding. Considering you've replaced your psu and checked your memory (did you run minimum 8 passes with memtest?), it doesn't leave you with a lot of possibilities.

Solution