akahuddy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
Hey guys, my computer has randomly begin to completely power off on me. I've been able to solve previous problems before, but this one has me vexed.

My overclock is ultrastable. I ran Prime95 for several days over Christmas break without any errors and continued to run a climate simulation for two weeks without any shutdowns, breaks, or restarts. Additionaly, my computer is clean of all viruses and spyware.

My case stays fairly cool 31-34C and my processor rarely strays above 55C on 100% load.

My system should never pull above ~345 watts currently on 100% load. My PSU is rated at 420W and 28A so in theory it should be powerful enough. I feel like the PSU is of shady reputation and is probably the problem. My builder is fairly reputable so I can't see them putting in a unit that wouldn't serve adequately... but you never know. My system is run through an APC battery backup that has served me without fail for 6 months so surges or loss of power shouldn't be a problem either.

Quick peak:
ASUS A8R-MVP
AMD X2 4200+ @ 2.54GHz
Cooler Master rinky dink HSF
2 GB Corsair XMS DDR400
Sapphire X1600PRO
SB Audigy 2 ZS
1 x 320GB Int. Maxtor
420W POS PSU.. Turbolink I think.

I have several higher power fans, a CPU cooler, and a higher powered SeaSonic PSU that should cure this problem at my disposal this weekend to mod.

Would you guys speculate that the PSU is probably to blame?