Random slowdown in games

harveygroin

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
[Apologies for double posting this on two boards, but I'm not getting a lot of helpful answers on the Systems board]

AMD FX-8320
MSI 990FXA-GD65
2x4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3
MSI GTX 760 2GB
250GB Intel 335
Corsair RM650

From time to time games run 10-15 FPS slower than they normally do. It happens completely randomly, and is impossible to predict. The only consistent pattern is that it happens in every game.

The problem is also impossible to reproduce. It happens out of nowhere, then stops happening, and then I play Crysis 3 for an hour and the game runs flawlessly (or at least as well as my system can run that game). So I'm pretty sure it's not an overheating issue.

I've also ran an Avast scan in safe mode, it found nothing wrong.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Solution
In your other thread on Systems, Thaisnang has some information that may pertain.
Try playing some game(s) and note the time that the drop in frame rates happens; then take a look in event viewer or on your anit-virus/malware log and see if it started up. Event Viewer may also show other programs starting (automatic updates is a major culprit for slowing things down).
Another thing, if the game(s) requires an internet connection, that could be the problem.
Are the games dropping into an unplayable frame rate?

BTW AIDA is an excellent program; if it isn't showing problems with heat or power you are probably good.

Do you have access to another video card roughly the same power as your 760? If so, try using that card and see if the...

Staying with the thought that it might be a software issue I have a suggestion or two and some questions that might help.
Is your Avast starting a scan while you are playing? That might slow down the game as it will take a little of your CPU power to run the scan. Other programs cans do the same thing (see below suggestion).
Clean out your PC if you haven't done so; doubt that it is an overheating problem but you never know.
Install HWInfo 64 and let it record while you play some games; see if there is a temperature issue with the CPU or the GPU (I doubt it, but worth a check, and HWInfo plays better with AMD then other monitoring programs I have worked with), and also see what your voltages are, both in the BIOS/UEFI at boot up and on the monitoring records.

You mention overheating, and there is the small possibility that some small component (unmonitored) on the video card, or even the mobo, is randomly failing or getting too hot and causing the problem; Not real common but it does happen.

Possibly malware on the pc; install and run the free version of Malwarebytes and see if it finds anything. You can also try SpyBot Search and Destroy. Malware can cause slow downs.

I apologize if you have tried all these things previously, but you listed no actions taken; give these a try if you haven't already and see if things improve. Please repost. Oh, added thought; what case are you using and does it have good airflow?

harveygroin

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions.

My system is only 3 months old and still pretty clean, there's hardly any dust to remove.

I've monitored my temps and voltages with AIDA 64, everything seems fine. But I'll try HWINFO too.

I've already ran Malwarebyes and Spybot, but they didn't find anything.

My case is a Zalman Z3. Not the most luxurious or expensive case I know, but airflow is good.

In your other thread on Systems, Thaisnang has some information that may pertain.
Try playing some game(s) and note the time that the drop in frame rates happens; then take a look in event viewer or on your anit-virus/malware log and see if it started up. Event Viewer may also show other programs starting (automatic updates is a major culprit for slowing things down).
Another thing, if the game(s) requires an internet connection, that could be the problem.
Are the games dropping into an unplayable frame rate?

BTW AIDA is an excellent program; if it isn't showing problems with heat or power you are probably good.

Do you have access to another video card roughly the same power as your 760? If so, try using that card and see if the drops happen.
Another something to try if you haven't; install MSI Afterburner and set up a custom fan profile in the settings. Adjuist it so the fan come on earlier and ramps up sooner. This solved a very vexing problem with a friends pc; something was getting to warm on the card and his Alienware, though well ventilated, was not moving enough air at low usage nor was his stock GPU fan profile. The adjustment cured the problem and it ran for another year without problems; he only replaced it because he wanted a newer more powerful video card. The old one still works.

Solution