Random Spike Pings

Broham

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
So at complete random, no rhyme or reason, my ping will spike above 170ms every 10-20 seconds or so. I have a ping checker on my other monitor when I do things like play games or talk on discord and it stays at 20-30ms for a little then it spikes straight to 170-800ms. It only happens on my computer but i've tried 2 other networks and they worked flawlessly. I'm using an Ethernet cord. Im using the Ethernet socket on my motherboard. I've tried changing the channel, updating my router, rebooting it etc. to no avail. Also these random devices show up on my network sometimes with an ip and sometimes without and they have dashes for a name Like this -- .Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Specs-
I5 6400
GTX 1060 6gb
8GB DDR4 2133
7200 RPM Hardrive

Edit: Sometimes it won't even spike at all during certain times of the day and even entire days.

Broham

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

I checked and one of the ends have a crack in the plastic and the latch is broke off, could that be the culprit?

It is not likely a cable problem. Cable problems causes packet loss not delays. Delays are caused by some electronic device holding the data in a buffer.

Now if you have tested with a different machine connected to the same network and see no issues ? Then it almost has to by you pc that is doing it. Be very sure you test carefully so you are sure that is the condition.

When you have eliminated all other sources then it almost has to be the drivers in the PC. Sometimes it is bad behaving programs but that tends to cause other issues also.

You need to get the drivers from the motherboard manufacture or the chipset maker. Windows 10 update many times load generic drivers...even when you tell it not to. If you have killer chipset try the version from their website that has all the killer features removed. Microsoft seems to break killers drivers every major update.