Question Random spikes with 3080 Ti ?

sims8605

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
I have a 3080ti FTW 3. I noticed today after update precision X1 and Nvidia drivers that when doing random things (switching windows, opening new chrome, scrolling) that in the X1 software the Power jumps 20%, Memory clock sticks at 9702 and the GPU clock goes to 1800mhz for about 2-4 seconds and then drops back down. I don't remember seeing this before. I tried rolling back both the updates to X1 and Nvidia doesn't seem to help. Any idea if this is normal or what could cause is. I booted up some games, and the clock pretty consistently stays at 9702. Temps stay fine and games run good just trying to figure out if this is normal.

Picture of spike and then normal.
View: https://imgur.com/a/0ly5dUP

atticus_maytrap

Reputable
Nov 12, 2018
i have a similar problem with my 1080Ti, im seeing spikes in GPU usage and clock when using certain desktop programs thathave always in the past not needed the extra power.

Rolling back drivers seemed to help, newer drivers seem to also not have the issue (496.13+), until i did a clean install of the latest (497.29) driver after having used it problem free for about 2 weeks and the spikes started again.
Strangest thing, i really want to know what the issue is here

what were you doing with the machine when this spike occured?