Question Random stutters without any fps drops after a day of finding the best overclock

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DriftKing1234

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Hey guys, so I was overclocking my pc yesterday for about 8 hours straight I was overclocking testing and playing games to test. And at some point modern warfare and battlefield 1 started hard stuttering without any fps drops. It makes it unplayable and setting everything back to default only slightly helped with the stuttering. It still persists. Also after overclocking again to what I know is a stable and safe oc, it was slightly better but still unplayable. Now I think I might have broken some part of my PC because I also now hear an electronic noise in my pc while load. I really don't know what to do now...
Specs: i7 6700k oc to 4.5ghz
700 w 80+ gold psus
2080ti
32gb 2133 ddr 4 ram oc to 2900
Z170 pro carbon mainboard
2 1tb ssd's
1 1tb hdd
Any hint or help iat greatly appreciated

DriftKing1234

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
first of all thx for being the only one trying to help @zx128k .
But it doesnt matter what i do, i watched all the vids and there seems to be a hardware problem most likely cpu or ram or motherboard, not a software problem.

And no I had my pc overclocked before but that one day i just overdid it i think. I overclocked for 8 hours straight and restarted multiple times

DriftKing1234

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Watch the language
i did reinstall windows as i said.

somehow i tried another cpu and it was gone! now that i know that its my cpu Removed around for some reason, i just reseated it with new paste twice and now it seems to be gone but i dont know for how long.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 11, 2021
Did the fix of reseating the cpu end up lasting, or did you end up having to get a new cpu? I'm having the exact same issue as you, and curious to hear what the eventual outcome was.