[SOLVED] Random Stutters

Sep 18, 2019
Hello everyone first time poster here!

I have a problem that comes and goes often but typically during games and when I open/close them. It drops from say 240fps to 3. It happens in all games.. Apex/Bordlands/PUBG/OW etc..
I have RMA'D my graphics card and also just replaced my PSU. I don't know much about computers so I could use some help. I also had this problem before hand and swapped cpus to this current one. Beforehand I had a i7-7700k.. I am starting to get frustrated since I can't seem to figure it out and anyone that I ask has no idea.

My specs
Asus PRIME Z390-A (LGA1151)
I7-9700k
Corsair AIO H100I
RTX 2080 TI (Founders) Just RMA'D This week
PSU Corsair 1000rmx
PSU Corsair 850RMX (just replaced on friday)
Ram: 32 gb Vengeance rgb pro
Windows 10
HD: SSD 850 PRO 500gb, SSD 840 Pro, 970 EVO 500gb

I also use a corsair cable mod kit.. not sure if that has any impact.

Solution
OK. Firstly, opening an closing of any game should be considered "off limits" as far as measuring framerate. Framerate should only be measured while "in" the game (the definition of "in" depending on what the game is).
Secondly, framerate is not a constant. If you look at any recent video card reviews, most will show two to three bars - average, max, and min. It all depends on what the video card needs to draw (as well as other factors).

Here is a test I can suggest (if you know another way to get the same results, fine, go with that).
  1. Install FRAPS and start it before your game.
  2. Using the key you have mapped, start recording once you have the game loaded and you are in your level.
  3. Once you have run through enough to catch...
Sep 18, 2019
I've checked temps and updated the bios and still get these issues. The only thing I could think thats left is a possible overheating issue with my ram? Or theres a faulty cable in the cable kit i've been using. I've ran memetest and the windows test as well.. showed nothing. I'm not sure if it could be a DD issue?

I'm stuck but I suppose I may have to give up and go to a professional and get gouged

Sep 18, 2019
The ram was sold as a solid kit.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D5RBR2P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After looking at the firmware it shows they are all updated with Samsung magician.

As for the temps, I ran borderlands 3 benchmarks.. and most of the temps were in the low 50s on the ram. I do recall at one point seeing them in the 60s before.

Also, the CPU temps never broke 52 while running the test.

The only thing left I suppose would be to reinstall windows?

Can you explain "during games and when I open/close them." I am not sure what FPS would matter when you are opening and closing a game. Is there any game in particular that is doing this? Is there any scene or scene-type in particular that is doing this? What are you using to measure your framerate?

Sep 18, 2019
Can you explain "during games and when I open/close them." I am not sure what FPS would matter when you are opening and closing a game. Is there any game in particular that is doing this? Is there any scene or scene-type in particular that is doing this? What are you using to measure your framerate?

The stutter is after closing and opening games. The fps stutter is throughout games.. such as borderlands,pubg,ow,fortnite etc.. They seem to be random with the stutters. There is no typical scene that causes it.

OK. Firstly, opening an closing of any game should be considered "off limits" as far as measuring framerate. Framerate should only be measured while "in" the game (the definition of "in" depending on what the game is).
Secondly, framerate is not a constant. If you look at any recent video card reviews, most will show two to three bars - average, max, and min. It all depends on what the video card needs to draw (as well as other factors).

Here is a test I can suggest (if you know another way to get the same results, fine, go with that).
  1. Install FRAPS and start it before your game.
  2. Using the key you have mapped, start recording once you have the game loaded and you are in your level.
  3. Once you have run through enough to catch your issue, but before stopping the game or going to any menus, use the key you mapped to stop recording.

The data will be saved into a spreadsheet in the folder you chose. You can use it to see if there are any huge lags while gaming.

Solution