Question Random Turn on during Sleep Mode and posting No Signal

Frostalz

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
My PC which is also recently built and pretty new, at first had faulty RAM which caused many issues. After replacing that it's been running fine however, I never turn my PC off instead I put it to sleep and boot in from that each time I use it. Recently, about once every few days my PC will randomly wake up from Sleep Mode by itself without any input and post no signal on my monitor. My keyboard and mouse also don't light up like they usually do when the pc turns on. Clicking or typing along with any input does nothing to help, hard resetting it with the power button just restarts the issue with the PC turning back on to no response with the CPU light on the motherboard going red. The only fix is to take out the CMOS battery for a few hours at a time to clear the CMOS which then clears the issue. I turned off the XMP profile and overclock to see if that was the issue however it still persists regardless of me doing that. I have no idea what could be causing my pc to do this and whether its software or a hardware error.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
What parts in the pc?

Easy way,

download hwinfo,
install and open it=click run,
close the top window which is the system summary,
in the main window at the left top click "save report",
at the bottom of the next window check "Summary for Clipboard",
after that you'll see what's in the pc,
copy by clicking "copy to clipboard" and rightclick+paste in your next respons

Frostalz

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
What parts in the pc?

Easy way,

Computer: MSI MS-7B89
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (Pinnacle Ridge, PiR-B2)
3850 MHz (38.50x100.0) @ 3848 MHz (38.50x100.0)
Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX (MS-7B89)
BIOS: 2.D3, 04/12/2021
Chipset: AMD B450 (Low-Power Promontory PROM26.A)
Memory: 16384 MBytes @ 1799 MHz, 18-22-22-42
- 8192 MB PC17000 DDR4 SDRAM - Corsair CMK16GX4M2D3600C18
- 8192 MB PC17000 DDR4 SDRAM - Corsair CMK16GX4M2D3600C18
Graphics: GIGABYTE GTX 1660 OC 6G (GV-N1660OC-6GD)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660, 6144 MB GDDR5 SDRAM
Drive: WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive: CT480BX500SSD1, 468.9 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Sound: NVIDIA TU116 - High Definition Audio Controller
Sound: AMD Zen - HD Audio Controller
Network: Intel Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64) Build 19042.1052 (20H2)

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

Frostalz

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
After clearing cmos can you check windows logs to see if there is an event that made this happen?
Wonder if maybe windows update or an antivirus tries to restart the pc, kinda connects with the next.

Can you also look at the the next?

see if something goes wrong and a bsod happend.

I just unchecked the automatic restart option, also the BSOD won't pop up ever as it's the PC just randomly turning on whenever I'm not in the room or sleeping. I've never actually seen it happen I just try and use my PC and it is unresponsive to everything unless the BIOS is cleared

InvalidError

Titan
If you need to go so far as pulling the CMOS battery to get the PC to boot again after it "woke up" to black screen, I'd suspect a defective device crashing the PC on wake-up. Disconnect all non-essential stuff before putting the PC on standby and see if that solves the problem. If it does, then one of the things you removed is either the cause or at least contributes to it.

Frostalz

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
If you need to go so far as pulling the CMOS battery to get the PC to boot again after it "woke up" to black screen, I'd suspect a defective device crashing the PC on wake-up. Disconnect all non-essential stuff before putting the PC on standby and see if that solves the problem. If it does, then one of the things you removed is either the cause or at least contributes to it.
I just put the pc to sleep by accident while still wanting to use it, so I quickly turned it on right after the fans starting spinning, to once again no signal or response from the peripherals, with the CPU light on the motherboard lighting up as red. Everything is plugged out of the PC apart from keyboard mouse and monitor.

Frostalz

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Last time I had a PC repeatedly fail to wake up from sleep, it was due to a bad 5VSB rail on the PSU.

Now I just turned the pc off normally using a shutdown and it won’t start once again. The CPU light on the motherboard is on and presumably like last time I need to remove the CMOS battery for up to 2 hours for it to finally boot. Also sometimes I need to re seat the CPU for it to finally work. I doubt it’s software or any external peripherals, could you narrow it down to what it can be from that information?

InvalidError

Titan
The PC randomly failing to turn on is also often a PSU problem.

You only need to remove power to CMOS for a few seconds to clear it, so any problem where you "need" to remove the battery for a much longer time to "fix" it is pretty much guaranteed to be something else such as a defective PSU needing time to fully cool down before it will work properly again. If you have a spare known-good PSU or can borrow one, I'd start there.

Frostalz

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
The PC randomly failing to turn on is also often a PSU problem.

You only need to remove power to CMOS for a few seconds to clear it, so any problem where you "need" to remove the battery for a much longer time to "fix" it is pretty much guaranteed to be something else such as a defective PSU needing time to fully cool down before it will work properly again. If you have a spare known-good PSU or can borrow one, I'd start there.

Two times in a row I put the PC to sleep for it to just shutdown completely, and not able to turn back on with the CPU light being red. I did suspect the motherboard of PSU from the start, you gather that is more likely the PSU at fault here?

InvalidError

Titan
Only way to know for certain is to try it unless you happen to have an oscilloscope you could use to capture exactly what is happening across all four rails (5VSB, 3.3V, 5V and 12V) when the PSU goes in or out of standby to see whatever anomalies may be present.

Frostalz

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Only way to know for certain is to try it unless you happen to have an oscilloscope you could use to capture exactly what is happening across all four rails (5VSB, 3.3V, 5V and 12V) when the PSU goes in or out of standby to see whatever anomalies may be present.

Sadly I don’t own one so I can’t check for sure. One time I did leave the CMOS battery out overnight and the PC still failed to boot, however after I reseated the CPU and took it out for another hour or two it worked then. Which made me slightly suspect the Motherboard instead, I am at a loss, I know it’s a hardware error and it’s one of the two but I can’t put my finger on it. The CPU and GPU were in a previous PC and they worked fine so I can rule them out. The RAM was replaced and is all good too, leaving one of those two as the problem. Tomorrow I’ll use it as usually and when it fails to boot again I will let it rest with the CMOS battery inside but power supply unattached to see if it boots the next morning, if so it’s definitely the PSU.