Random Typing Win7

jnrironside

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
This morning my Keyboard just started typing # in all text fields (search, password etc), when I click them. I checked the button wasn't sticlking and swapped to a brand new (out of the box) keyboard all worked fine. 5 hours later the new keyboard does the same. I unplugged it rebooted and even with no keyboard attached it is still doing it. I can get it to boot into safe mode using the keyboard but when I click the password it is still typing so I can't log in. This happen with the on screen activated aswell in both normal mode and safe mode. I have noticed that turning on filter keys (ease of access), it slows down the rate of typing. I have tried Teamviewer from another PC but the same thing happens once I select the password field. This is happening on a WIN 7 ultimate desktop. Is a reformatted my only option?

jstear

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015

You stated that a brand new keyboard works fine, why not just use the new keyboard?

From your initial description it sounded like a hardware problem. But the fact that you're experiencing the behavior connecting remotely via Teamviewer almost certainly indicates it's a software problem. Maybe some password manager program is malfunctioning and typing in spurious keystrokes.

For recent software problems that you just can't seem to figure out, try system restore to a date before the problem occurred. I prefer figuring out what's causing the problem so I can prevent it in the future. But sometimes it's not worth the time and trouble to figure out the cause if a straight system restore can fix it.

jnrironside

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Fixed! Next morning I could log in via Teamviewer. A system restore failed but Malware Bytes found some infections after removing the threats on restart the second keyboard was only half working (Num Pad not working), It is a Lenovo keyboard with lots of shortcut buttons). Guessing, the driver was somehow corrupted, I replaced it with the first keyboard and its working. Only minor annoyance is there are now 2 USB keyboards listed in Devices and Printers and if I uninstall either the keyboard stops working.