Question randomly unable to access secure sites with new sbg8300 modem router xfinity using dell xps laptop

ginlaan

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
hardware in use sbg8300 modem router, xfinity, dell xps laptop

I am randomly not able to access internet secure sites. When i connect to my wifi it states the connection is secure and have internet access and i do indeed have internet access. I am able to access nbcnews.com facebook and other common non secure sites. Yet when i try to access a secure banking site or similar I am getting the connection is not secure message in chrome.

It doesn't matter if it bing chrome or firefox same results. I have run network diagnostics and it states it is not finding a problem. Randomly it will start working on its own with me not doing anything to correct it. For example while i was typing this on a different laptop i asked my wife to see what the error was, she said she couldn't tell me because it was now working and she was able to access secure sites. I have factory reset the router modem, Reloaded my network adapter. turned mac filtering off, restarted modem, turned off firewall settings on cpu and router i still have this issue randomly. i know i wont connect after restart and have to wait or play around and hope it starts working. so random to a point i guess

Sometimes one of those attempted fixes may seem to work but mostly they don't and it will start working by itself for a time until it decides to stop letting us access secure sites.It has happened also when i am on facebook and everything was fine before then after some time maybe a hour or so not sure i got back to the web and cant access secure sites. i still have internet access as i can access other sites so i know the connection is not dropping. Its important to note i never lose connection and i know the wifi is working as my tv is connected as well as a few ipads that neither have never had a problem.

i am almost positive this is related to the router as if i reconnect my xfinity cable modem which i have not turned in yet and go through the setup on xfinity to get that working i am not having this issue at all. once i reconnect the arris modem router i get no stability as far as the web secure sites.
maybe tcp issue but reloading adapters should correct that?
Looking for any ideas to help me with this

kanewolf

Titan
hardware in use sbg8300 modem router, xfinity, dell xps laptop

I am randomly not able to access internet secure sites. When i connect to my wifi it states the connection is secure and have internet access and i do indeed have internet access. I am able to access nbcnews.com facebook and other common non secure sites. Yet when i try to access a secure banking site or similar I am getting the connection is not secure message in chrome.

It doesn't matter if it bing chrome or firefox same results. I have run network diagnostics and it states it is not finding a problem. Randomly it will start working on its own with me not doing anything to correct it. For example while i was typing this on a different laptop i asked my wife to see what the error was, she said she couldn't tell me because it was now working and she was able to access secure sites. I have factory reset the router modem, Reloaded my network adapter. turned mac filtering off, restarted modem, turned off firewall settings on cpu and router i still have this issue randomly. i know i wont connect after restart and have to wait or play around and hope it starts working. so random to a point i guess

Sometimes one of those attempted fixes may seem to work but mostly they don't and it will start working by itself for a time until it decides to stop letting us access secure sites.It has happened also when i am on facebook and everything was fine before then after some time maybe a hour or so not sure i got back to the web and cant access secure sites. i still have internet access as i can access other sites so i know the connection is not dropping. Its important to note i never lose connection and i know the wifi is working as my tv is connected as well as a few ipads that neither have never had a problem.

i am almost positive this is related to the router as if i reconnect my xfinity cable modem which i have not turned in yet and go through the setup on xfinity to get that working i am not having this issue at all. once i reconnect the arris modem router i get no stability as far as the web secure sites.
maybe tcp issue but reloading adapters should correct that?
Looking for any ideas to help me with this
I would recommend you start by disabling IPv6 on the WIFI adapter and wired adapter on the laptop. Get that out of the way so it isn't confusing things.

ginlaan

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
You indicated the SBG was new. Did you follow the “first time installation” procedure?
Yes I followed the set up directions as written. I did a factory reset and followed that procedure as well. It’s the craziest thing and I know when it’s figured out it’s going be a basic solution.

ginlaan

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I have received a newer error. “DNS server isn’t responding” It starts working again after maybe restarting CPU or resetting wifi on cpu or running network diagnostic Etc. I have done all thos things and it worked at times and did not work at times,

I am somewhat confused as to what you are calling "secure" sites. I think facebook only run https it really isn't any different than a bank site. Are you saying you can access it and it does not have the padlock icon in the main URL bar.

Most issue like this are related to the certificates in the pc. Check that the date and time are correct on your pc. It does not make sense that different routers function differently. The router itself does not have the ability to filter this type of stuff....it might have some firewall abilities but I doubt it would do this.

DNS not responding can just mean you have no internet connection at all, it does not mean only the dns server is not accessable. Now I guess your problem could be DNS related if you were maybe using a filtering DNS server like opendns. You could try to set a secure DNS server in the browser or even in windows.
You want to use 1.1.1.1 or maybe 8.8.8.8 as your dns server and set the option to use encrypted dns. This would prevent any dns hijacks.

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
BTW, what XPS are you using?
Don't know if you have already, if not, run this at step 5.
https://www.dell.com/support/conten...orking-wifi-and-bluetooth/wireless-networking
Additionally, make sure under "Internet Options" and the "Advanced" tab, that "Securities" settings for "SSL" are unchecked, and "TSL 1.2" is the only TSL level checked.

And BTW, in reading your text, you indicate being able to connect to NBC News. That is a secure "HTTPS" site, so I am
really confused as to what your are indicating as "secure sites."

Last edited:

ginlaan

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
BTW, what XPS are you using?
Don't know if you have already, if not, run this at step 5.
https://www.dell.com/support/conten...orking-wifi-and-bluetooth/wireless-networking
Additionally, make sure under "Internet Options" and the "Advanced" tab, that "Securities" settings for "SSL" are unchecked, and "TSL 1.2" is the only TSL level checked.

And BTW, in reading your text, you indicate being able to connect to NBC News. That is a secure "HTTPS" site, so I am
really confused as to what your are indicating as "secure sites."
I guess I was not aware of what was secure and not. I was thinking secure as in banking or similar. I am starting to think this is dns specific on this computer. I am going try your suggestions thanks