News Raptor Lake Die Size Confirmed to Be Larger Than Alder Lake

dehjomz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So if Rocket Lake’s die is indeed larger than both of its successors Alder Lake and Raptor lake, then why the hell did intel ‘need’ to use a new socket ?

dehjomz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So if Rocket Lake’s die is indeed larger than both of its successors Alder Lake and Raptor lake, then why the hell did intel ‘need’ to use a new socket ?
I get that but Rocket lake used more power especially with avx512. My point is intel changes the socket every two generations, they added more pins and moved from lga1200->1700 yet the dies on lga1700 are physically smaller than that of lga1200. Necessitating a new motherboard.

Although it does show they increased transistor density moving from 14 nm -> 10nm. In a smaller die area than Rocket lake, they’re able to pack in more cores and transistors. While also consuming less (or nearly the same amount of) power.

I get that but Rocket lake used more power especially with avx512. My point is intel changes the socket every two generations, they added more pins and moved from lga1200->1700 yet the dies on lga1700 are physically smaller than that of lga1200. Necessitating a new motherboard.

Although it does show they increased transistor density moving from 14 nm -> 10nm. In a smaller die area than Rocket lake, they’re able to pack in more cores and transistors. While also consuming less (or nearly the same amount of) power.

Socket pin array isn't about size alone. if anything, it has more to do with the requirements of the new architecture than anything else. Pins are used to communicate between memory, motherboard, and a number of different components, not to mention power requirements which could be different.

Basically, the "plumbing" required for Alder Lake is substantially different compared to Rocket Lake. Since the architectures are built so differently.

With AMD, they were able to use the same socket for so long, thanks to AMD already predicting what they needed with the newer architectures of Ryzen. Plus, Ryzen in and of itself, has remained very similar overall, which is a night and day difference compared to Intel.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Truthfully, this is not surprising. This I believe is the same 10nm, whatever Intel calls it now. So minimal to negligible shrink in node, more cores and more cache, it can only grow in size. The real kicker will probably be the power draw since it’s got more cache, more cores that runs at higher clock speed.