Question Raptor Lake issues: only if you overclock?

shmu26

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
Do 13th and 14th gen cpus go bad only if you overclock?
Is this issue affecting mainly gamers and those who constantly have their cpu running at max?
What about average home users who have a modest cpu load most of the time?

Do 13th and 14th gen cpus go bad only if you overclock?
Is this issue affecting mainly gamers and those who constantly have their cpu running at max?
What about average home users who have a modest cpu load most of the time?
Unfortunately its an issue that currently effects just about every 13th and 14th gen desktop cpu thats 65w and above. Basically its a manufacturing defect, and there isn't really any getting around it. Your cpu may encounter an issue, or it may not, its currently kind of a roll of the dice.

Reactions: stuff and nonesense
Your CPU will probably last at least 10 years.
That is not true. Some 13th and 14th Gen CPUs that used to be 100% stable six months ago are no longer stable. Any CPU that has this issue needs to be replaced.

Is this issue affecting mainly gamers
Many modern games at times can put a significant load on the CPU and make this instability problem obvious. If you do not play games and if you do not run your CPU at full load then it might take a lot longer before you start seeing random blue screens.

When CPUs start to prematurely degrade, they do not get better. Your CPU might be good for another 10 years or it might start crashing next month or six months from now. This issue is in the very early stages of testing. No one can predict the future.

Reactions: artk2219
Jul 27, 2024
That is not true. Some 13th and 14th Gen CPUs that used to be 100% stable six months ago are no longer stable. Any CPU that has this issue needs to be replaced.

You are contradicting yourself.

Some of them will not experience any instability, and those that do are not "dead".

Also, not all instability will be caused by the oxidation issue which is a thing of the past and accounts for a small subset of all manufactured CPUs.

Ok, since a mod is editing my posts, I just muted you.

Not possible to have a discussion.

Last edited:
Last edited:

YSCCC

Prominent
Dec 10, 2022
You are contradicting yourself.

Some of them will not experience any instability, and those that do are not "dead".

Also, not all instability will be caused by the oxidation issue which is a thing of the past and accounts for a small subset of all manufactured CPUs.

Ok, since a mod is editing my posts, I just muted you.

Not possible to have a discussion.
it is the overvoltage spikes degrading it to a point it can no longer stably run at the default voltage or whatever voltage... it technically can still boot, but sorry under heavy load it will BSOD or crash your workload, that I will view as "dead"

Reactions: artk2219