News Raptor Lake Refresh CPU Clocks May Not Break 6 GHz: Report

Among the initial trio of 'K' suffixed SKUs the Core i7 14700K appears to stand out, for example, by reportedly boasting a brand new configuration of 8P+12E (compared to current gen 8P+8E).

Not only that. This particular SKU actually sports 33 MB of 'smart cache' (vs 30 MB found on the Core i7-13700K ), and features clock speeds of 3.4 GHz at base and up to 5.6 GHz with TBMT3.

That's a +200 MHz boost over the 13700K, so we can expect performance uplifts of around 5-10% from this particular SKU. No other RPL-refresh processor is sporting an extra cache, except for the 200 MHz boost clock on these SKUs.

Increasing the clockspeed of TBMT3 is a bit of a mixed bag.

The availability and frequency upside of Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 depends upon a number of factors including, but not limited to, the following:
  • Type of workload
  • Number of active cores
  • Estimated current consumption
  • Estimated power consumption
  • Processor temperature
You need a large amount of variables to be satisfied before you hit 5.4ghz or 5.6ghz

If those speeds are rarely maintained for very long I wouldn't expect a 5-10% in gains.

It's a very similar story with base clock speeds.

If the cpu is sitting near its base clock speed it probably is idle and not doing much work.

Eventually the cpu settles into a middle ground between those 2 extremes when doing work.

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
If the cpu is sitting near its base clock speed it probably is idle and not doing much work.
No, they idle much lower. Like 800 MHz or less. Try watching sometime, using a utility like HwInfo64.

Base clock is supposed to be the minimum expected all-core clock speed, under heavy multithreaded workloads. Even then, it's still not an absolute guarantee.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I wonder what is the benefit of having a processor running at say 5.7 to 5.8Ghz vs 6Ghz. Sure it is a bit faster in benchmarks, but also draws significantly more power. Intel's 10nm have reached its full potential when they delivered Raptor Lake, and clearly "golden" chips that run 6Ghz are not common. So no surprises here that the 6Ghz chips will likely be very limited and saved for the KS model that commands a higher price.

Reactions: Why_Me and bit_user

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
I wonder what is the benefit of having a processor running at say 5.7 to 5.8Ghz vs 6Ghz. Sure it is a bit faster in benchmarks, but also draws significantly more power. Intel's 10nm have reached its full potential when they delivered Raptor Lake, and clearly "golden" chips that run 6Ghz are not common. So no surprises here that the 6Ghz chips will likely be very limited and saved for the KS model that commands a higher price.
It's possible that DLVR was re-introduced, or there were still slight improvements to be made to the node. That's not too apparent from these clock speeds, but 13900KS and 14900K both hitting 6 GHz could mean something improved, and there might be a 14900KS at 6.2 GHz.

Reactions: bit_user
This isn't a overclock...it will not use more power.
The point of a refresh is that they improved the process enough for it to get higher clocks at the exact same power.
This refresh is going from 5.8 to 6Ghz at the exact same power.
This is irrelevant for reviews since you only see power unlimited benchmarks anyway, but for the home user that has even some basic knowledge they gain a bit of performance for the same price and power.

I guess you missed the huge giant table the article has...every 14900k will be running at 6Ghz so the 10nm got better, it remains to be seen if they can get enough golden samples together to release a 14900kS at like 6.2Ghz.