Raspberry Pi 3 Launches With Quad-Core Cortex-A53 CPU, Built-In Wi-Fi And Bluetooth 4.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Boy, I'm glad I saw this article. I was literally just about to buy a Pi 2. I'll gladly wait the extra however-long to pick this up instead. Built-in Wifi! Brilliant!

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Hey Tomshardware and Anandtech.
Can you tell me why the hell both your website and anandtech.com are trying to spread a trojan horse and damaging script files?

dstarr3

Distinguished
Slower than my 3 year old smartphone

That's because it's built on old smartphone parts. It's not supposed to be cutting-edge performance in a small form factor. It's supposed to be just a cheap, functional micro-computer. And for $35, I want hundreds of these.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Not the first time that's happened..... I recommend blocking the ads for security reasons.

MeeLee

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2014
If you want slow, buy a $45 (shipping included) LG realm (same price as the $35 + tax and shipping Pi3)
It has everything the Pi3 has and more (800x480 screen, a whole range of sensors like motion and gps, and you could enable 3G/4G network.

I'd be more interested if they had a higher end model (for a surcharge) with an ARM cortex A-72, rather than an almost decade old A-53 chip.

Aug 5, 2015

You're making the rather broad assumption that we want to use strictly Android for our Pis. No one will ddevelop support for Linux on these phones, plus, I'm fairly sure that phone lacks GPIO pinouts.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
If you want slow, buy a $45 (shipping included) LG realm (same price as the $35 + tax and shipping Pi3)
It has everything the Pi3 has and more (800x480 screen, a whole range of sensors like motion and gps, and you could enable 3G/4G network.

You completely don't get what Pi is about, It was never about playing stupid Android games and taking Selfies. Pi is a wonderful platform for learning and tinkering, this is something old smartphone a severely limited in doing.

I'd be more interested if they had a higher end model (for a surcharge) with an ARM cortex A-72, rather than an almost decade old A-53 chip.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Please stop commenting on this until you've gained even the slightest understanding of what this product is for.

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

Oh my god, how can you be this dumb? A crap smartphone can't do a fraction of the things a Pi3 can. These two products aren't even comparable.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

Yes, a smartphone...of which has GPIO headers and can run a keyboard with linux...

tkoreaper

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Boy, I'm glad I saw this article. I was literally just about to buy a Pi 2. I'll gladly wait the extra however-long to pick this up instead. Built-in Wifi! Brilliant!
Have you seen the PINE A64? For only $15 +shipping you get:

64bit Quad Core ARM A53 1.2GHz CPU
Dual Core Mali 400-MP2 GPU
512MB DDR3 SDRAM
MicroSD Slot Supports up to 256GB
10/100 Mb Ethernet port
2 x USB 2.0 host
4K x 2K HDMI port
3.5mm Stereo Output mini-jack with Microphone Support
Muti-Channel Audio output through HDMI
Real-Time Clock capability built in
Built in 3.7V Lithium battery charging circuit

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
what i'm interested in the pi for is a dedicated emulation box for the living room, and a media center. i would like up through ps1/n64 and ill take whatever gets be there best, i held off on the pi2 because it was just barely able to do what i wanted, now i know that this and others exist under 50$ that will do what i want... nice... time to start looking into this again.

also... for anyone worried about customizeable things with the pi... my understanding is from people who know more then me, the pi is nice to screw around with, but you are better served by purpose build hardware almost every single time.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
In addition to the old GPU and 32-bit OS, Pi 3 still has only 10/100 ethernet. And I'll bet the SD Card is still about as slow as it was in the gen 1 Pi's. Since I use my Pi as a media server, these are all bad news for me. No thanks.

I was looking at Pine A64, but I'm pretty certain I'll be grabbing an Odroid C2. Thanks, @Darkk, I had been waiting for that.

IMO, the main selling point the Pi has over its competition is reliability. My Pi had over 1 year of continuous uptime, at one point. I never had any problems with the hardware or OS. The same cannot be said for some of the other contenders.

lieutenantfrost

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I have never messed around with one of these micro computers before, I wanted to get into using Raspberry Pi, but after reading the comments here, it sounds like Pine A64 is a better buy, or Odroid C2?

dstarr3

Distinguished

If you're new to the whole thing, I really would go with a Raspberry Pi. It has a much larger community with a much larger repository of code libraries and other resources that make it much easier for someone new to get from having a new board to having a completed project.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree with dstarr3. You're less likely to have problems on the pi, and the community support will be better if you do. This is the Pi's main selling point.

But, if you're pretty comfortable with linux, then go ahead and try ODroid or Pine A64.

Status
Not open for further replies.