[SOLVED] Raspberry pi 4 doesn't display an image without a usb keyboard connected

Jubby

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a raspberry pi 4 model B (4GB) and it will not output a display without a USB keyboard connected.
The lights display that the SD card is being read and it has power. If I disconnect the keyboard while it is on the display disappears (no signal) I can then reconnect it and the display returns.

I'm also using a micro hdmi to female hdmi adaptor but I can't see this causing the issue with it displaying an image while the keyboard is connected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm happy to provide any logs if necessary.

Regards,
Lewis

Solution
This is now resolved.

It was either 1 of 2 things. rng-tools and haveged wasn't installed or the hdmi cable wasn't firmly seated on the micro hdmi port. (As it was a very tight fit.)

These don't explain why it worked with a USB keyboard attached and not with other peripherals.

Thanks for your help.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a raspberry pi 4 model B (4GB) and it will not output a display without a USB keyboard connected.
The lights display that the SD card is being read and it has power. If I disconnect the keyboard while it is on the display disappears (no signal) I can then reconnect it and the display returns.

I'm also using a micro hdmi to female hdmi adaptor but I can't see this causing the issue with it displaying an image while the keyboard is connected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm happy to provide any logs if necessary.

Regards,
Lewis
I am guessing that without a keyboard, the PI defaults to a headless configuration. I can't find any documentation on that behavior.

Jubby

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
First thing I did was run retropi because that's its intended use. Same results.

I will try it on a different monitor but it has already been tested on two, both different brands.

I feel like there is something strange going wrong with bus lanes but I don't have the expertise to figure it out and I connor find anything in the boot config or raspberry pi config gui.

Jubby

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
Yes it's just a long shot because I have known port converters to be dodgy in the past.

Unfortunately yes, I'm converting an old ps1 into an emulation station so I want it to be portable. It's not for solely running services and I need the GUI.

Jubby

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
This is now resolved.

It was either 1 of 2 things. rng-tools and haveged wasn't installed or the hdmi cable wasn't firmly seated on the micro hdmi port. (As it was a very tight fit.)

These don't explain why it worked with a USB keyboard attached and not with other peripherals.

Thanks for your help.

Solution