News Raspberry Pi 4 Revision Fixes USB-C Compatibility Problem

I'm glad they fixed it, but the only way is really to test it with a cable? I've been avoiding the 4 primarily because of the USB C cable issue, and secondly because I'm not a fan of the mini HDMI ports. "Stuck" using the 3B for a little longer I guess.

On the bright side we didn't have to wait for a 4B for a fix I guess... I'll give them credit for that.

Optix1974

Commendable
Feb 10, 2020
Not to nitpick too much, but just FYI, this fix is on the model B. The model A hasn't come out yet (who knows if they'll even make one). Models aren't the same as revisions. The A models are usually stripped down versions, relatively few are sold. In fact, if you look closely at the PCB in the photo you'll see that is says RPI4B in several places.

Reactions: Mr5oh
Not to nitpick too much, but just FYI, this fix is on the model B. The model A hasn't come out yet (who knows if they'll even make one). Models aren't the same as revisions. The A models are usually stripped down versions, relatively few are sold. In fact, if you look closely at the PCB in the photo you'll see that is says RPI4B in several places.

Nope I messed that up entirely. I was thinking of the "+" models. As they usually release B+ models, and technically A+ models as well. I was thinking new model, just didn't have it right. Glad you caught it.

Feb 26, 2020
"Considering that the Pi 4's USB-C port is only usable for charging, chances are that you wouldn't want to use a high-speed data cable with it anyway."

This is not true. The Pi4 can not only be powered by a laptop or an iPad, but it can communicate directly with the powering device, by configuring the USB-C port as a network device.

Some incredibly useful workflows can come from this, as Tech Craft shows here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR6sDcKo3V8&t=413s