[SOLVED] Raspberry Pi 4 (VPN/Récursive DNS/adblocker)

bkfan1

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2012
Hi,
I have little knowledge of Linux & Networking. I would like to know if I can set up 1 raspberry pi 4 as a pihole, Recursive DNS and VPN gateway . I have 1 main router but I don't want any device connected to it to have VPN but it should be able to use the rp4's adblocker & the recursive DNS. I'm not sure if my question makes any sense...

Solution
I have 1 main router but I don't want any device connected to it to have VPN

That doesn't make sense. If you allow traffic through this router from any other device than the RPi, then you cannot police if it will be some random VPN or another connection. And how will you determine if some connection is a VPN tunnel or just a plain SLL connection?

I have little knowledge of Linux & Networking. I would like to know if I can set up 1 raspberry pi 4 as a pihole, Recursive DNS and VPN gateway

RPi has a relatively poor network connection and you will introduce latencies. Anyway, if you want to use RPi to take over DHCP and DNS resolution from the router, then you will either have to convince the router to stop being a...
Oct 18, 2021
I have 1 main router but I don't want any device connected to it to have VPN

That doesn't make sense. If you allow traffic through this router from any other device than the RPi, then you cannot police if it will be some random VPN or another connection. And how will you determine if some connection is a VPN tunnel or just a plain SLL connection?

I have little knowledge of Linux & Networking. I would like to know if I can set up 1 raspberry pi 4 as a pihole, Recursive DNS and VPN gateway

RPi has a relatively poor network connection and you will introduce latencies. Anyway, if you want to use RPi to take over DHCP and DNS resolution from the router, then you will either have to convince the router to stop being a router or you have to put the router on a different network segment and have two cables from the RPi to the original router.

So, I'm not sure what is your question but if the question is whether it's possible, sure. But in most likely scenario you will not be able to use the original router as a router anymore. And depending how much latency you currently have, the additional latency caused by another hop on the network (especially by a slow edge device like RPi) may be significant.

Reactions: bkfan1
Solution

bkfan1

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2012

RPi has a relatively poor network connection and you will introduce latencies. Anyway, if you want to use RPi to take over DHCP and DNS resolution from the router, then you will either have to convince the router to stop being a router or you have to put the router on a different network segment and have two cables from the RPi to the original router.

So, I'm not sure what is your question but if the question is whether it's possible, sure. But in most likely scenario you will not be able to use the original router as a router anymore. And depending how much latency you currently have, the additional latency caused by another hop on the network (especially by a slow edge device like RPi) may be significant.

You answered my question thanks!

TRENDING THREADS