News Raspberry Pi 4 With an SSD: Dramatic Speed Improvements, Higher Price

Jul 10, 2019
Have you ever made the same test with the microSD overclocked for better disk I/O ?

The microSD card reader can be overclocked from 50MHz to 100MHz with a 25% to 50% improvement in performance for real-world disk operations.

With any UHS certified cards like "Samsung Evo+", "SanDisk Extreme" or "Samsung Pro+" the chances of data corruption are almost zero according to the intensive tests made with them. (I've been using my RPi 2 and 3 SDcard readers OC at 100Mhz during 4 years without a single data corruption issue)

So I think it would be a very nice addition to this interesting test!

Jul 14, 2019
Wouldn't the SSD be more reliable than the microSD? With that assumption, I would keep an image of the boot partition on the SSD to easily recreate the boot microSD.

Jul 16, 2019
I've tried this using the recommended Plugable enclosure and a Samsung 970 Evo SSD that is compatible with the enclosure (the Plugable web site did not list the Western Digital Blue SN500 as compatible). I had several different results - all bad. I also tried a couple of different methods of USB boot creation from Raspberrypi.org and others online all of which failed along with this method.
Initially the RPI4 boots and seems OK but after a short time the SSD becomes corrupted. A few times the SSD activity light is on for extended time and it becomes very hot.

Aug 15, 2019
I used this Plugable adapter with a WD Black SN750 500GB, and it initially recognized it as an unformatted drive. Once I added a partition, though, it stopped seeing the device altogether. Re-created a partition under Windows, and the pi 4 still can't see the device. Might it be a problem of not enough power to work reliably?

starvinmarvin

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
Corsair Voyager GTX and Sandisk Extreme flash drives both have much faster Random 4K Read/Write performance than the Patriot Supersonic Rage Elite. TThe Corsair and Sandisk models can reach Random 4K speeds that rival a good 128GB SSD, while the Rage Elite is limited to having good Sequential Read/Write speeds.

TRENDING THREADS