News Raspberry Pi 400 Review: Faster CPU, New Layout, Better Thermals

Oct 17, 2020
I ordered one the minute it became available here in Malaysia on Nov 2nd, and I already own four Raspberry Pi 4s. This brilliant retro-esque design brings back memories of the Amiga 500 and Atari 520ST. I'm looking forward to overclocking this thing to the max. I currently run my 8GB Raspberry Pi 4 at 2350 MHz CPU and 750 MHz GPU at 4K 60p, stable as a rock even under load, thanks to the Argon One case's awesome thermal dissipation. With this new Stepping C0 revision of the BCM2711 SoC, with its 1800MHz base clock, I am expecting to go to at least 2400 MHz or higher, although I would have to find a way to get cool air into the keyboard case, maybe up through the vents at the bottom. Maybe also replace the stock thermal pad with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut TIM. Warranty? What warranty?

Reactions: panathas and King_V

CooliPi

Reputable
Oct 4, 2019
What a pity the haven't use full size HDMI for one of the video outputs. I see this as a potential weak point in an otherwise great design. I feel nostalgia too.

CooliPi

Reputable
Oct 4, 2019
#3 is interesting - but I still don't know, whether it really turns 5V off on the GPIO port. Seems unlikely.

Nov 17, 2020
Thank you :)
I don't think 5 V on the GPIO will be turned off - that would possibly disable some HATs which do power management, etc.