Question Raspberry Pi and Android App

Jackedd

Reputable
Nov 17, 2020
Hi guys,

Sorry for a thread that maybe was already discussed but I didn't found it.
So my first and simple question is this: can a Raspberry PI be connected to an Android App?
And what I mean by that, the device that has Raspberry Pi can be connected to an Android App and customized by it?

Jackedd

Reputable
Nov 17, 2020
I dont think it helps because I want the Android App to run exclusively on phones without connecting it to a desktop.

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
I don't think you understand. RPi runs a lightweight desktop or server (no graphical user interface) linux operating system. Because the referenced app connects to linux desktop, it is highly likely that it will connect to the RPi linux-like OS. My experience is that most everything that runs on linux also runs on RPi and vice versa.

Here's another way. "RealVNC server" is part of the RPi OS. Enable that. "Load the RealVNC Viewer" Then you will have access to the RPi desktop using RealVNC. This will require that both the RPi and the phone are connected to the same WiFi network. If this is a problem, find an RPi program that makes the RPI into a WiFI access point, then connect the phone to this access point.

If you only need command line, run the RPi server OS and run Putty terminal on the phone., again same WiFi access point or run an RPi access point program and have your phone connect to it.

This will probably take a couple hours or days and more than a modicum of patience to get running well.

I may not be sufficiently articulate to express the concept here, but it's the best I can do. If you find someone that can give you more help, please appreciate the time and effort that that person took to help you.

OSD

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
And what I mean by that, the device that has Raspberry Pi can be connected to an Android App and customized by it?
What do you mean by “customized?”

A Raspberry Pi is a single-board computer that runs an entirely different operating system. If you’re trying to connect to it like you would an Alexa or Fitbit, you’re out of luck. You can connect to it using remote desktop protocols like previously mentioned or access the terminal through SSH. Connecting to it with one of these methods is the only way you will be able to connect and configure it on another device.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnHyVswZksM

I mean exactly like the app in the video, in the video you can tell it to open a door, but i want something else, to change a song in a loop, or something, things like that.
That app has specific purposes and your needs are not one of them. If you want to control music like that, I’d look into creating a web server on the Pi that you can access in a browser. There are some specific-purpose software that can do this. There may also be a Raspberry Pi operating system that does this too. I use PlexMediaServer to stream my music collection across my local network.

Jackedd

Reputable
Nov 17, 2020
I understand what youre saying, but lets say I have 1000 devices with 1000 RPi that have different IP's on 1000 different phones, how would those phones control their specific device?
Would a web server solve that?
I mean not everyone knows how to acces a web server or a web designed for their devices to be customized.
I always thought that an app will be the sollution and when I saw that there already exists an app that can control a RPi can't I develop an app for my needs also?
Cause with an app its easy, you have 1000 phones that can acces the app and customize the device there without any problem because thats my real question, can I develop an Android/iOS app that can be linked to be RPi?

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
I understand what youre saying, but lets say I have 1000 devices with 1000 RPi that have different IP's on 1000 different phones, how would those phones control their specific device?
Would a web server solve that?
I mean not everyone knows how to acces a web server or a web designed for their devices to be customized.
I always thought that an app will be the sollution and when I saw that there already exists an app that can control a RPi can't I develop an app for my needs also?
Cause with an app its easy, you have 1000 phones that can acces the app and customize the device there without any problem because thats my real question, can I develop an Android/iOS app that can be linked to be RPi?
Developing an app for phones is a thousand times more difficult than a web server. Anyone can setup a web server on their own Raspberry Pi. I think you need to do a little research into the requirements for application development… you can’t just wish for it to happen and the application appears on the App Store. If you want to go about developing it though, best of luck!

Jackedd

Reputable
Nov 17, 2020
Developing an app for phones is a thousand times more difficult than a web server. Anyone can setup a web server on their own Raspberry Pi. I think you need to do a little research into the requirements for application development… you can’t just wish for it to happen and the application appears on the App Store. If you want to go about developing it though, best of luck!
Of course it wont just happen, I dont even want that but if It's possible I will pay someone to build it with my specifications but first I needed to know if its possible to connect RPi to an App.

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
Do you mean connecting your pi 4 via Bluetooth to a device so you can use the App that comes with the device ( for example surveilance camera , lights, speakers )as If the Pi 4 was a Phone ? Then check out lineage os. It's Android for Pi 4 basically.

Maybe you should read this

https://konstakang.com/devices/rpi4/LineageOS19/

I tried this quite some time ago. This might be what you're looking for.