Raspberry Pi Announces Arrival of Raspbian OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Does anyone know how big an SSD the raspberry requires as a usable minimum?
I have an old 30GB one sitting around and wondering if that will do.

Dangi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Does anyone know how big an SSD the raspberry requires as a usable minimum?I have an old 30GB one sitting around and wondering if that will do.[/citation]

SSD ?? Really ??

You use de SD as the booting device, you can change to usb, but as far as I know it doesn't have Sata port to put a SSD disk

bucknutty

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Dangi[/nom]SSD ?? Really ??You use de SD as the booting device, you can change to usb, but as far as I know it doesn't have Sata port to put a SSD disk[/citation]
Correct at this time it can only boot from the SD Card. USB, or network attached storage can be accessed once the OS is loaded.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Bought one about two weeks ago from RS, still haven't heard how the shipping is going or anything from them. I'll be using this image once I get it but XBMC sounds tempting as well...

Ohmybad

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I have about 75$ invested to get my Pi 43$ flat shipped to the US from UK, + Accessories... neat little device... i don't know a ton about Linux/programming but plan to learn... it does play Quake 3 and NES emulator! haha... http://mitchtech.net/category/tutorials/raspberry-pi/

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Awesome, the day after I download the Debian iso. Oh well, plenty of data on my cap and only took 3mins for the 442MB Zip.

Only got it yesterday, will be looking forward to getting into over the weekend. Still waiting for a case to be shipped from Spain.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
that performs better than the browsers built into some of the new "smart TV's" yet companies like samsung like to use probably $30 of hardware to justify a near $1000 price increase.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]bucknutty[/nom]Correct at this time it can only boot from the SD Card. USB, or network attached storage can be accessed once the OS is loaded.[/citation]

From the website FAQ:
'How does it boot?

You have to boot from SD but a USB HD can “take over” after the initial boot. You cannot boot without an SD card.'

Dangi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]No SATA... must have overlooked that one.USB drive is a bit on the slow side unless it is USB 3.0 of course.[/citation]

USB 2.0 and only 2 ports.

But as said before SD is a MUST to run Rasperry Pi, try class 10 SD cards if you feel that the boot is slow. That shouldn't be more much slower than USB 2.0

digitalvampire

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]Dangi[/nom]USB 2.0 and only 2 ports.But as said before SD is a MUST to run Rasperry Pi, try class 10 SD cards if you feel that the boot is slow. That shouldn't be more much slower than USB 2.0[/citation]
I actually read somewhere that the Raspberry Pi was having problems with class 10 cards. These issues may have been ironed out by now, but it's worth checking into before buying a card. If they have been fixed, then by all means, yes, buy a class 10 SD card.

Status
Not open for further replies.