Raspberry Pi Hits a Slight Manufacturing Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachusaman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
[citation][nom]knowom[/nom]This thing is more powerful than a Wii lol sad how much Nintendo ripped people off with that garbage gimmick of a console.[/citation]
as Sony as found out with the ps3 (at least at launch) and with the vita
POWER ISNT AS IMPORTANT AS USAGE
seriously, wii sales are much bigger than the ps3 despite the ps3 being quite a bit more powerful than the wii.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
"The Videocore 4 GPU within the SoC is roughly the equivalent to the original Xbox's level of performance"

So around the level of a Geforce 3, for people who want a simpler hardware comparison. Not bad for something so small.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]knowom[/nom]This thing is more powerful than a Wii lol sad how much Nintendo ripped people off with that garbage gimmick of a console.[/citation]

the wii has twice the power of the xbox, at least from what i understand.

you also have to take into account 5 years of advancement, and the fact that right now, i cant find a wii online for about 100~$ new.

most of its games are shovelware... i will admit that, but the truely good games on the wii are better than a majority of 360 or ps3 games, granted you have to like that style to begin with.

[citation][nom]zachusaman[/nom]as Sony as found out with the ps3 (at least at launch) and with the vitaPOWER ISNT AS IMPORTANT AS USAGEseriously, wii sales are much bigger than the ps3 despite the ps3 being quite a bit more powerful than the wii.[/citation]

there is a certain graphical fidelity that is a requirement, more now than when the wii came out though... but nintendo and sony realized something big.

the wii could barely get a core game outside of first party to sell at all
the ps3 while looking nice, cant get everyone just by graphics.

the wiiu will hopefully be a success because a touch screen on a controller is an idea i had for a while... granted not a full tablet like the wiiu but a touch screen like i pod touch... the idea came from the game.com (o yea i had one) and dreamcast controller, as i think thats the best way for casual and core to mix. motion isnt here yet, and no mater what kinect does, it just isnt a game changer.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Wii sold a ton of consoles, but secondary sales have suffered (software and peripherals). Tons of casual gamers bought Wii's and never purchased games - long term both the 360 and PS3 will be more profitable.[/citation]

they sold the 360 and ps3 at 150-250$ loss innitialy, meaning that they have to sell about 13-22 to break even on the hardware sale... i dont know about you, but i know i haven't bought more than 10 games new per console and i bought them at launch...

the wii from day 1, turned a profit, every game sold gets them between 7 and 12$, over all i think that the wii was more profitable... considering that first party games sell like you cant imagine, and that all goes to nintendo.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Now, replacing the connector by un-soldering and than re-soldering a new part...
Doesn't that make the boards 'refurbished' and they should be sold at a discount ?

Just kidddding :)
Glad the caught it in time and take care of it.
Can't wait to get my hands on mine...

juxtaposer

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]the ps3 while looking nice, cant get everyone just by graphics.[/citation]
Linux *was* a good buying factor. Sorry, I have a bit of 'sour grapes', but I'm looking forward to the Raspberry Pi. ; )

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Defend the Wii and the other junk consoles?

Yay, for slowing the progression of gaming and graphics. My hat is off to the cheapskates who cannot afford a gaming rig, yet pay a premium for their bought games ($60).

I look forward to the excuses and things like "Oh, not everyone can afford $1000 upfront, one time, and another $200 every few years". My counter argument to that, is: Not everyone can afford to pay $300 for a shit console, every 6 years. Let's cater to the homeless, yeah?

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Can't wait to see some case mods for this thing..LOL

Can imagine someone putting like 20 of these things inside an atx case. Seriously thinking about just saving up a few hundred and buying a handful of these. We sell used monitors at my work for like $20.00 - $30.00, i'd have no problem modding them into AIO computers, or turning our t.v.s into smart t.v.s.

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
i haven't read all the comments, but i assume someone has finally acknowledged that they said the "original xbox," which is 11 years old, not the xbox 360. So no, this thing is not more powerful than a Wii.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

Nintendo Wii's selling point was not the hardware but the innovative motion control that the Big Boys have copied.

As for the Raspberry, I applaud the developers to offer a great piece of hardware for learning purposes as well as other uses for a very reasonable price!

Status
Not open for further replies.