Raspberry Pi Integration Makes DSLRs Smarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

excuseme02

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Ok..am I the only one who is annoyed that the article keeps referencing Raspberry Pi like its some sort of new software or peripheral product only to find out its just the stupid name for this thing some guy cobbled together?

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I had assumed that it was the Raspberry Pi that he had taken and found a great use for the tiny computer.

Honestly, I love the Raspberry Pi stories...it's awesome to see what people are doing with a tiny hackable computer.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]excuseme02[/nom]Ok..am I the only one who is annoyed that the article keeps referencing Raspberry Pi like its some sort of new software or peripheral product only to find out its just the stupid name for this thing some guy cobbled together?[/citation]

It really is just you I assume.

Anyway.. The Pi just keeps coming up with more and more fun things to do with it and with the new gert board things will just get even more interesting.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]excuseme02[/nom]Ok..am I the only one who is annoyed that the article keeps referencing Raspberry Pi like its some sort of new software or peripheral product only to find out its just the stupid name for this thing some guy cobbled together?[/citation]

I think the problem is that you don't know much about the Raspberry Pi or you have something entirely different envisioned for it. Personally I think it's pretty neat what he has managed to do with that little thing.

climberhunt

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Just to clarify, the grip doesn't have a Pi "in addition" to supplying power to the camera. It removes the existing grip internals to make room for the computer and it's battery. The camera is powered by it's existing battery, and the Pi is powered by it's own battery in the grip. Two separate entities.

saidge

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Ok..am I the only one who is annoyed that the article keeps referencing Raspberry Pi like its some sort of new software or peripheral product only to find out its just the stupid name for this thing some guy cobbled together?

It is not 'just the stupid name for this thing some guy cobbled together'. Raspberry Pi itself has nothing to do with this gentleman's invention. The Raspberry Pi is an inexpensive ($25-35) caseless, credit card sized ARM based computer system that is impressively powerful given it's price and size.

This is what one man has done with this incredible little piece of hardware, and I applaud him for it.

Please do a little research before posting nonsense...

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
+1

Luckily for humanity, we have enough folk like this using tools of our trade such as creativity and ingenuity to keep giving us hope.
Luckily for humanity, troglodites like excuseme02 haven't yet pushed us irreversibly towards....etc.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
in before a buisness sees this as a great idea, and makes their own solution, charges 500+ for it and locks the process from happening with anything but their batteries.

that said, how long do you think it will take for a retail version of something like this to pop up? and how over priced do you think it will be.

G

"Just to clarify, the grip doesn't have a Pi "in addition" to supplying power to the camera. It removes the existing grip internals to make room for the computer and it's battery. The camera is powered by it's existing battery, and the Pi is powered by it's own battery in the grip. Two separate entities."

just a tiny clarification, the battery grip fits inside and occupies part of the the battery space in the camera.
canon retail would make you pay ~400$?

excuseme02

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
[citation][nom]mesab66[/nom]+1Luckily for humanity, we have enough folk like this using tools of our trade such as creativity and ingenuity to keep giving us hope. Luckily for humanity, troglodites like excuseme02 haven't yet pushed us irreversibly towards....etc.[/citation]

I think the word you're looking for mesab66 is [troglodytes]. and +1 to you for being so brazen on an online forum! I applaud your gall sir.

excuseme02

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
[citation][nom]saidge[/nom]It is not 'just the stupid name for this thing some guy cobbled together'. Raspberry Pi itself has nothing to do with this gentleman's invention. The Raspberry Pi is an inexpensive ($25-35) caseless, credit card sized ARM based computer system that is impressively powerful given it's price and size.This is what one man has done with this incredible little piece of hardware, and I applaud him for it. Please do a little research before posting nonsense...[/citation]

I'll agree I should have at least googled what Raspberry PI is but for a neophyte who knew nothing of its existence or what it really is the articles headline and body assume all users know what it is. But anyway, thanks for helping my lazy ass out!

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
That's pretty cool, but I can do the same thing with my $29 eye-fi card. You can setup an ad hoc connection between your eye-fi card and device (iPad, iPhone, PC, Mac...) snap pictures and in about 5 seconds it shows up full screen on your device.

Status
Not open for further replies.