News Raspberry Pi Pico Converts Retro Game Controllers To USB

Findecanor

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
A microcontroller running on 3.3V wouldn't be my first choice for a 9-pin joystick converter, but if I did I would definitely use a logic-level converter and then some external pull-up resistors.

Many vintage joysticks with autofire are not driven by the +5V pin, but actually by the pull-up current.

You might also be tempted to connect a Sega gamepad, but Sega also uses another pin as the +5V pin.

Reactions: bp_968

bp_968

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2012
I agree about using a 5v MC. Especially if their programming it with arduino anyway.

If someone wants to build one of these and can print a nice box/case for them ill send you a couple microcontrollers (i have the arduino mini, micro and a handful of other types in my drawer of micro controllers and SBCs. I could even russle up the resistors and stuff too and send that. I just want the printed case you end up using for my own copy :) i want to make one for SNES controllers and or sega genesis controllers.

One of these days i need to build a arcade emulator machine to play gauntlet or xmen or TMNT on (ooh and golden axe, another epic game of the time).

A microcontroller running on 3.3V wouldn't be my first choice for a 9-pin joystick converter, but if I did I would definitely use a logic-level converter and then some external pull-up resistors.
I agree about using a 5v MC. Especially if their programming it with arduino anyway.
But why?!
The only reason 5V is the standard is because that's what the micros had back then, there is nothing in a joystick that needs any "power" (current) at all, let alone a specific amount, you just need any amount of "power" (current) to be able to distinguish if the circuit is open or closed.

Or am I missing something here?