News Raspberry Pi Used to Hack NASA

Jun 20, 2019
Part of the problem is that JPL plays both sides when it wants. When they don't want to do what NASA wants, they say, "We don't have to listen to you. We're Caltech." Conversely, when it is beneficial, they will say, "We're not Caltech; we're NASA."

Because of this, they maneuver around whatever they don't like while reaping the benefits of both sides w.r.t. research money/grants, discoveries, etc.

I know because I have worked with some of these folks and it is sometimes pulling teeth to be able to get what you want/need.

Reactions: BiggWigg92
Feb 14, 2019
How does any computer/device connected to their system not automatically get blocked. Our systems are scanned and have to match what is approved or they get blocked. With all the so called genious's at JPL how do they do this manually? They should be banned from gov't funding until they fix this.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
How does any computer/device connected to their system not automatically get blocked. Our systems are scanned and have to match what is approved or they get blocked. With all the so called genious's at JPL how do they do this manually? They should be banned from gov't funding until they fix this.
I dunno, maybe round after round of government budget cuts.

A lot of government agencies are running on a shoestring budget and struggling even to perform their mandate. So, it's not surprising if their network security isn't top notch.

USAFRet

Titan
In any network, no matter how strongly locked down, there is a small group of people with absolute access.
Probably one of these semi-genuises with access thought he knew better and was above the rules, and...

Reactions: BiggWigg92