News Raspberry Pi vs Arduino: Which Board is Best?

Jul 11, 2020
Single board computer vs controller both are good at different things. :D
Completely agree. It's a really dim question, in my opinion.

If you need to be able to execute complex algorithm or drive complex devices then the Pi may be the way forward. If all you need to do is collect sensor data and drive a decision based on that data, E. G. switch on a fan if something gets too hot, switch off a pump when the sump is full, then a Pi is massive overkill.

This "timeless battle between two of the big hitters in the single board computer and microcontroller worlds" idea is a fallacy, and as silly a concept as 'power driver vs screw driver'.

Be it screwdrivers or computers, the answer to the question is you use the right tool for the job.

Reactions: domih and BlueCat57

domih

Reputable
Jan 31, 2020
Oh boy. The journalistic self-imposed mental schema of AMD vs Intel, mobo X vs. mobo Y, who's the winner, who's the loser projected as is on the SBC world in particular Raspberry and Arduino.

At least make it epic: "In a Galaxy far away, a long long time ago, the Empire of Queen Raspberry was fighting for its survival against the Rebel of the Arduino galactic Arm. After thousands years of war and billions of deaths Tom's Hardware tells who is the winner and who is the loser. We guaranty you the juicy bits and we won't spare the tomato sauce!"

jasonkaler

Distinguished
It always irks me when I see raspberry pi projects that do something simple like control some RGB led's.
If you merely want to control some electronics or build your own joystick or gamepad, then why use a PI when you can use a $2 arduino clone?

If you really want to do something interesting, then combine both.
It doesn't have to be one or the other.