Question Raspberry Pi won't log in to desktop ?

kidlatwarfreak

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
Good day,

I have a Raspberry Pi 4b which I shelved for a couple of months. I tried booting it today and it won't let me log into my desktop. After supplying the password, the monitor just turns black for a couple of seconds then reverts back to the login page again. The weird thing is that I can SSH into it just fine using the same password. I tried popping in a new SD card with a fresh install of Raspbian and it works fine. What could be the problem?

Please help.

Last edited:

OldSurferDude

Honorable
May 18, 2019
weirdness abounds! I'm not an expert but here's what I would try. ssh into the Pi and change the password. Along those lines, create a new user with password and give it sudo privileges. Then try logging into the desktop.

OSD

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Good day,

I have a Raspberry Pi 4b which I shelved for a couple of months. I tried booting it today and it won't let me log into my desktop. After supplying the password, the monitor just turns black for a couple of seconds then reverts back to the login page again. The weird thing is that I can SSH into it just fine using the same password. I tried popping in a new SD card with a fresh install of Raspbian and it works fine. What could be the problem?

Please help.
I’ve had a Raspberry Pi GUI become corrupted after powering down during an update or running a system process. I’d try creating a second user via SSH then try logging in with that user. If that doesn’t work, the best option is to backup any files using SSH and copy them to the new microSD card.