Review Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W Review: The Long Awaited Sequel

Findecanor

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
The CPU in the 3B has a tendency to throttle quite a bit. Therefore, I wonder if a Zero 2W with a large heat sink attached might not even outperform a 3B without any.
With the smaller footprint, attaching a large heatsink might even be easier.

passivecool

Honorable
Jul 18, 2017
So you are sure this 15$ computer will not be replacing my ryzen 9 any time soon? Bummer.
Cudos for testing and misusing PZ2 every way you could think of, but imho comparing it with a desktop once would already have been enough. :rolleyes:

BTW what FPS did you get running DOOM for Toasters?

dnabre

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012
The real question is will they get distribution volume up to meet demand with this. Despite it being on the market for 5-6 years, the Raspberry PI Zero/Zero W has never been widely available at its MSRP. Sure you could get one from RPi/SBC shops of all sorts, but only one per order. So the shops either never had enough to sell as many as people wanted, or they only cared to sell them as loss leaders.

If they aren't going to up the memory, I don't care for any speed improvements. I care about everyone being able to readily buy them at the $15 (or whatever the price Raspberry Pi claims for it) in whatever volume they want. The fact they you couldn't order a half dozen Raspberry Pi Zero boards from Amazon or even on eBay for $5 each demonstrates that Raspberry Pi has been unable or unwilling to actually make the boards truly available for hobby usage.

Nov 2, 2021
Can a Pi Zero W-configured SD card be used in the Pi Zero 2 W or do I need to install/configure from scratch?

jayjr1105

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Disappointing being there are already Pi Zero clones with quad core's and 1-2GB of RAM. I guess it's still a big step up from the single core version however.

NOOB2PRO

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2012
One place this should shine is for 3D printers. The Klipper firmware needs a Pi to host it so the fact that this is a low powered Pi 3B is awesome. I've got Pi Zero W in my Ender 3 and that is rage inducing with how slow it is. If the Zero 2 can run klipper like a regular Pi 3B or 4, I'm gonna pick up a few myself.