Question Rather hot idling temperature - GTX 1070

adooley8

Commendable
Dec 28, 2018
I need some help with my GPU temps. As of late, the GPU is idling very hot, roughly 52c which is way above my comfort zone, especially considering the card used to idle at mid 30s without any issues.

Now i must confess, while doing some PC maintenance i had a nightmare occur. I bought some thermal paste and when changing the CPU thermal paste, the paste kept flowing as i lifted it up and I got a tiny dot of thermal paste on the edge of the PCI-E slot. I cleaned it all up as best I could but there is still a tiny dot on a single one of the PCI pins. Could this have an effect? The card still runs perfect when under load, not exceeding 83c and giving the same FPS as before.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Thermal compound is typically non-conductive. If you are concerned you can always power down, remove the card, and give the card edge a wipe with some isopropyl (isproponol) alcohol.

You probably just didn't notice it before. Cards these days won't run their fans at all if they are idle. So they will soak up heat slowly.

When you first got it you probably looked at idle temperatures after a cold boot. Or did you buy the card when ambient temperatures were lower?

You could always set a minimum fan speed so that it is always cooled at least a little. But that would add a bit of wear and tear to your fans.

adooley8

Commendable
Dec 28, 2018
Thermal compound is typically non-conductive. If you are concerned you can always power down, remove the card, and give the card edge a wipe with some isopropyl (isproponol) alcohol.

You probably just didn't notice it before. Cards these days won't run their fans at all if they are idle. So they will soak up heat slowly.

When you first got it you probably looked at idle temperatures after a cold boot. Or did you buy the card when ambient temperatures were lower?

You could always set a minimum fan speed so that it is always cooled at least a little. But that would add a bit of wear and tear to your fans.

Thanks for the swift reply! I'm beginning to believe you're right and that I simply didn't notice. On cold boot temps are still low, around 30c but do creep up towards the mid 40s with time. I did change the thermal paste and it knocked a wicked 16c off my load temps so that is something I seriously recommend doing!