Question Rattling sound from CPU fan when restarting computer

jaxx80

Reputable
Aug 25, 2019
Hello
It is a brand new computer, which I built the previous days.
MSI B560M PRO-VDH, I5-11400F and Arctic Freezer 34 Esports (with 1 fan).
Each time when I restart my Windows 10, something in the revolutions of the CPU fan changes and there is a very clear rattling noise coming from it - multiple very fast rattles for a total period of around 1 second.
The fan is well attached to the heatsink and the heatsink itself is well attached to the motherboard. There are no loose parts.

What do you think could be the problem?
Is the fan defective or this is some kind of setting?

Thanks in advance

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Many fans ride on their bearings edges until they spin up to speed. This can make the fan blades wiggle around a little and sometimes hit the frame. Attached to a CPU cooler, it might sound louder or be actually contacting the heatsink.

Make sure the fan is attached with the frame/hub facing the heatsink, mounted the other way is technically backwards, and would have more chance of hitting things.

If it gets serious, ask Arctic for a replacement fan or buy your own high end fan.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I have had more than one occurrence of Intel stock CPU fans being BOB. Where I have rarely had the issue out of 'aftermarket' it could happen. The last time I had this happen the retailer wanted me to send back to the manufacturer, which would have had me waiting a while before having a replacement and out the money. I opted to purchase another and then sent the bad one back for replacement and set it to the side up until I needed it.