Raw partition working but can't clone

itla2001

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
I have a 250 Gb seagate HD., in an OptiPlex 790 with windows home 32bit, works fine, boots up I can run programs and access all my files. I ran seagate's diagnostics on drive and it passed all the tests. I decided to clone this drive. When I put this drive in an usb enclosure and connect to another computer, the partitions appear as RAW. I can not clone. or run checkdisk, I can use data recovery to recover files. But I don't need to since I just copied the files off from the computer directly. I want to know if I use testdisk to repair the partition will this harm the hard drive partition. I don't understand how it is working on the OptiPlex, but appears inaccessible on other computer. the other computer is windows 10 64bit.

Solution
Hey there, itla2001.

Well, sometimes with OEM computers or other devices, such as DVRs for example, when you use a hard drive it kind of "gets married" to that device and it has to be reformatted in order for the user to be able to properly use it with a different device or computer. I don't know if this has happened in your case, but it looks pretty similar. If you have all of those files backed up already, I'd recommend that you just reformat the HDD with the computer you want to use it with, to see if that fixes things up.
Other than that, of course, you can try to repair the partition, although I can't guarantee that it would work or if it's going to corrupt it even more than it already seems to be, but as I've already mentioned...
Hey there, itla2001.

Well, sometimes with OEM computers or other devices, such as DVRs for example, when you use a hard drive it kind of "gets married" to that device and it has to be reformatted in order for the user to be able to properly use it with a different device or computer. I don't know if this has happened in your case, but it looks pretty similar. If you have all of those files backed up already, I'd recommend that you just reformat the HDD with the computer you want to use it with, to see if that fixes things up.
Other than that, of course, you can try to repair the partition, although I can't guarantee that it would work or if it's going to corrupt it even more than it already seems to be, but as I've already mentioned, at least you have your files on a different drive and you are free to try that out.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD

Solution