[SOLVED] Razer Blade 15 2020 getting very low fps

Ryan67t_

Honorable
Mar 26, 2016
I've had this laptop for about 8 months now and everything works fine except when it comes to games, I dont play a lot but i like to go back and play the old call of dutys from time to time, but the laptop is terrible when it comes to games. I just loaded black ops which is a 10 year old game and I was getting abpout 30 fps on high settings. Ive already messed around with the power plans, razer cortex, synapse, performance boosting and im in the process of trying a 2nd factory reset but it is unlikely to actually change anything, anyone got any ideas? cheers

specs are RTX 2060, I7 10750H 16GB Ram

Solution
An undervolt is a good option too. To the OP, you can try Throttlestop or Intel XTU (I prefer TS, as it's more configurable, and you separate the Core/Cache undervolt, which really helps). With a decent undervolt you can reduce your temps by maybe 5c, task dependant.

Similar results with a good cooling pad. As @Phaaze88 mentioned the orientation of the intakes on the underneath of lappie is important so that the air from a cooling pad goes in, and not just skirt around the underneath of the chassis cooling nothing. By increasing the air flow (with cooler air) your CPU will be cooler and fans won't have to work as hard.

Here's a teardown and repaste vid. I'm not sure if this is the same model though. But at any rate, it can give...
Hey there,

When you say you've 'played' around with 'power plans', have you just changed the settings, or actually re-initialized the missing power plans?

Sometimes installing the power plans through powershell will work. Have you tried that?

open powershell and paste one of these, then enter:

Ultimate Performance:
powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

High Performance:
powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

Balanced:
powercfg -duplicatescheme 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e

Power saver:
powercfg -duplicatescheme a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a .

Games running off SSD or HDD? Have you tested the drives to ensure they are working.

Is your CPU throttling? What temps are your GPU/CPU?

Ryan67t_

Honorable
Mar 26, 2016
Hey there,

When you say you've 'played' around with 'power plans', have you just changed the settings, or actually re-initialized the missing power plans?

Sometimes installing the power plans through powershell will work. Have you tried that?

open powershell and paste one of these, then enter:

Ultimate Performance:
powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

High Performance:
powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

Balanced:
powercfg -duplicatescheme 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e

Power saver:
powercfg -duplicatescheme a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a .

Games running off SSD or HDD? Have you tested the drives to ensure they are working.

Is your CPU throttling? What temps are your GPU/CPU?
No I have changed the power plans to performance based ones, the games are running off the SSD as its the only drive in the laptop, I'll leave a link to a screenshot of all the temps and info as I really dont know have a clue when it comes to this stuff just trying to play some gta v and old school cod zombies after work haha, also when i start GTA V, I'll be getting like 100-150 fps just driving around, but then after like 2 minutes it just drops down to about 20-30 fps View: https://imgur.com/VGriED6

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Looks like 'everything' is thermal throttling. In the screenshot:
-2060 at 91C and 300mhz. I don't know the limits of the 2060 mobile, but the desktop 2060 taps out at 85C - mobile parts sometimes have higher set limits.
-4 of the 6 cores are throttling at 99C+.

You've had it 8 months - that's plenty of time for some dust to accumulate. The total package is smaller, so it can be more of a threat.
Clean it, and take some measures to not block the bottom vents - if there are any.
Geez, it's so hard to find pictures of the bottom vents on these laptops, as if they aren't important or something... that couldn't be further from the truth, by the way.

If cleaning and elevating the bottom end don't reduce thermals, then I suppose the laptop needs a repaste.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Ryan67t_

Honorable
Mar 26, 2016
-2060 at 91C and 300mhz. I don't know the limits of the 2060 mobile, but the desktop 2060 taps out at 85C - mobile parts sometimes have higher set limits.

You've had it 8 months - that's plenty of time for some dust to accumulate. The total package is smaller, so it can be more of a threat.
Clean it, and take some measures to not block the bottom vents - if there are any.
Geez, it's so hard to find pictures of the bottom vents on these laptops, as if they aren't important or something... that couldn't be further from the truth, by the way.

If cleaning and elevating the bottom end don't reduce thermals, then I suppose the laptop needs a repaste.
cheers mate hopefully this sorts the problem out

Precisely.

An undervolt is a good option too. To the OP, you can try Throttlestop or Intel XTU (I prefer TS, as it's more configurable, and you separate the Core/Cache undervolt, which really helps). With a decent undervolt you can reduce your temps by maybe 5c, task dependant.

Similar results with a good cooling pad. As @Phaaze88 mentioned the orientation of the intakes on the underneath of lappie is important so that the air from a cooling pad goes in, and not just skirt around the underneath of the chassis cooling nothing. By increasing the air flow (with cooler air) your CPU will be cooler and fans won't have to work as hard.

Here's a teardown and repaste vid. I'm not sure if this is the same model though. But at any rate, it can give you an idea of how to go about it.

If you are going to re-paste (it is a good idea, as the generic paste used often is of just basic quality). Getting something like Arctic MX4, Noctua NT H1, TG Kryo are all really good pastes.

edit for link: Razer Blade 15 RTX - Teardown and Repaste - Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut - Guide - YouTube

Last edited:
Solution
I keep forgetting about warranties and whatnot. If there's concerns about that, then rushing to take it apart probably isn't a great idea.

Good point. Although, most laptop warranties are only one year. Some manufacturers actually allow you to replace ram, and so opening the chassis to clean is not an issue. Other's are not so kind, and it does invalidate it.

Given it's 8 months old, and the issues may just get worse, despite a clean (or not :) ) with just a few months left, it's still sound advice. Certainly though, it's a decision for the OP.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Ryan67t_

Honorable
Mar 26, 2016
Good point. Although, most laptop warranties are only one year. Some manufacturers actually allow you to replace ram, and so opening the chassis to clean is not an issue. Other's are not so kind, and it does invalidate it.

Given it's 8 months old, and the issues may just get worse, despite a clean (or not :) ) with just a few months left, it's still sound advice. Certainly though, it's a decision for the OP.
Yeah I've just given razer an email and see what they say, would rather see what they can do for me before i potentially void the warranty on it

Ryan67t_

Honorable
Mar 26, 2016
Welcome to the world of being a gaming laptop owner :tearsofjoy: Given it's under warranty they may take it back in and check it out to see if everything is working well.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.
Yeah they're great things when they work but a pain in the arse when they dont haha, just dreading the scenario where i send it in to razer and they hold on to it for like a month, cheers for your help though mate