Razer Building Smaller Gaming Devices Besides Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
That keyboard on the device in the picture is awful. They seem to forgot how important Shift keys are to a computer user, much less a gamer- every FPS game out there uses Shift to sprint or run (or walk).
They also forgot to add a touchpad- they can't seem to make up their minds on whether or not this is a portable machine or not. It's sort of the worst of 2 worlds- normally you're aiming for the best.

And, why Atom processors? Why not go the smart way and use an E-450? That costs just as much and is more powerful than an Atom with Ion.

Otherwise, it's a neat concept. But is it really that useful in its aims?

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]That keyboard on the device in the picture is awful. They seem to forgot how important Shift keys are to a computer user, much less a gamer- every FPS game out there uses Shift to sprint or run (or walk).They also forgot to add a touchpad- they can't seem to make up their minds on whether or not this is a portable machine or not. It's sort of the worst of 2 worlds- normally you're aiming for the best.And, why Atom processors? Why not go the smart way and use an E-450? That costs just as much and is more powerful than an Atom with Ion.Otherwise, it's a neat concept. But is it really that useful in its aims?[/citation]
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]That keyboard on the device in the picture is awful. They seem to forgot how important Shift keys are to a computer user, much less a gamer- every FPS game out there uses Shift to sprint or run (or walk).They also forgot to add a touchpad- they can't seem to make up their minds on whether or not this is a portable machine or not. It's sort of the worst of 2 worlds- normally you're aiming for the best.And, why Atom processors? Why not go the smart way and use an E-450? That costs just as much and is more powerful than an Atom with Ion.Otherwise, it's a neat concept. But is it really that useful in its aims?[/citation]The keys change with every game ;) . three are little screens on the keys, so i would asume that when playing an FPS it would have a sprint key to the left for your pinky.

http://www.razerzone.com/switchblade/gaming

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Nobody wants to play PC games on a 7" screen.

A Nintendo 3DS or a Playstation Vita or whatever are 1/2 the price and 10 times more fun if you want mobile gaming.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
This is such old news. Surprised that Toms didn't link this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiQ0AnlfBu4

"The CEO of Razer could sell me air and I would buy it ;)" (credit to a YT user comment)

That comment made me laugh so hard almost a year ago.

But as for the device, I see it working with a niche market, and only if the hardware is there to be able to run most games on low/medium settings. And not just 10 year old games.

tlmck

Distinguished
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]That keyboard on the device in the picture is awful. They seem to forgot how important Shift keys are to a computer user, much less a gamer- every FPS game out there uses Shift to sprint or run (or walk).They also forgot to add a touchpad- they can't seem to make up their minds on whether or not this is a portable machine or not. It's sort of the worst of 2 worlds- normally you're aiming for the best.And, why Atom processors? Why not go the smart way and use an E-450? That costs just as much and is more powerful than an Atom with Ion.Otherwise, it's a neat concept. But is it really that useful in its aims?[/citation]

I believe the shift keys are the up arrows.

foogoo

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Razer products are garbage. I bought a nostromo and it never worked properly even after several support calls and many driver updates. I threw it in the garbage as a reminder to myself never to buy another razer product.

Novulux

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
[citation][nom]foogoo[/nom]Razer products are garbage. I bought a nostromo and it never worked properly even after several support calls and many driver updates. I threw it in the garbage as a reminder to myself never to buy another razer product.[/citation]

But...my mousepad is working just fine. :O

G

with a battery life of 25 seconds all yours for just 2500. revolutionary netbook here we come!

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
[citation][nom]foogoo[/nom]Razer products are garbage. I bought a nostromo and it never worked properly even after several support calls and many driver updates. I threw it in the garbage as a reminder to myself never to buy another razer product.[/citation]

Work for Logitech much? Or your mother just can't afford Razer's products, perhaps.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I very much agree with you there, Nintendork. Why does this thing have an Atom? Even a Tegra would be better... And for the GPU it's got what, a "Larrabee"? (laughs!)

But it's a cool concept, just overpriced and underpowered. It should just have an Apple logo on it.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]They got the design for their other laptop perfect; this one, not so much.[/citation]

This isn't a laptop, Eddie. Please use your "reading" next time.

Borisblade7

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
[citation][nom]lordstormdragon[/nom]Work for Logitech much? Or your mother just can't afford Razer's products, perhaps.[/citation]
To be fair, i have their razer cacharias headset and its awesome, however their mice are garbage plain and simple. Terribad ergonomics, just flash and hype. They look great and sound cool but are designed like crap. Logitech does do better mice hands down. My Razer Naga collects dust, its terribly designed, which is sad cause i love the idea, but its ergonomics are one of the worst of any mouse i have ever had. My G700 is far better.

Borisblade7

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
These laptops are waaaaaaaaaay overpriced. Doubling or tripling the price just for the funky keypad on the side? Talk about all hype. No idea what these custom keypads cost but if its so bad as to make these things have absurd prices then they need to ditch em or come up with somethin else. Do a decent 10 or 11 inch laptop and do it around 700-1000 bux depending on reasonable options and you can sell em very well. The other option is to use the new fusion chipsets, i have one on a cheap laptop i got for 340 and im very surprised at how well it runs things. DCUO is smooth at stock settings, all source engine games like L4D2 run maxed out well over 60fps, WoW runs great, as do every other game. No you cant run crysis 2 maxed out on dx11 mode with uber rez textures, but with this small screen you cant see many of the effects anyway so turnin on somethin you cant see is pointless. Seriously, 340 and it runs like a champ. The AMD fusion chips are pretty sweet. And btw its an one of the new A4 chips. I had the intel equivalent, and they run games like crap, its not even close.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Boris, this isn't a laptop. It's a small portable gaming device, the only one of its kind, period.

Seriously, read the article. I know you're talking about their Blade laptop, but this article isn't about the Blade laptop. Literacy exists somewhere, I just know it.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
[citation][nom]rabidface[/nom]This is such old news. Surprised that Toms didn't link this video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiQ0AnlfBu4"The CEO of Razer could sell me air and I would buy it " (credit to a YT user comment)That comment made me laugh so hard almost a year ago.But as for the device, I see it working with a niche market, and only if the hardware is there to be able to run most games on low/medium settings. And not just 10 year old games.[/citation]

Jesus, is that thing playing Quake 3? Wow, it's only 12 years late to the party... I have absolutely no idea where they're going with this tbh, the only games it will be able to play will be powered by valve's source engine, and 10 year old fps titles. People love to waste money on flashy gear though I guess.

Meh.

Borisblade7

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
[citation][nom]lordstormdragon[/nom]Boris, this isn't a laptop. It's a small portable gaming device, the only one of its kind, period. Seriously, read the article. I know you're talking about their Blade laptop, but this article isn't about the Blade laptop. Literacy exists somewhere, I just know it.[/citation]

I know but it refers to the one im talking about and there is no way that the smaller one will be even remotely decently priced either. As much as i wish it would, if they can charge completely absurd prices for the big one then this one will be just as obnoxious. If those keyboards are the problem then they need to wait til the price comes down or come up with somethin else. If they are just overcharging like dell does with alienware and hoping hype and customer stupidity sells it, then thats fine, stupid people can waste money on these if they want, doesnt affect me.

G

if you compare being able to play wow tribes ascended diablo 3 on a portable device against Nintendo? you are failing at education or general thought processes you might want to rethink the choices you have made in life.

lol NINTENDO against playing any pc you game you want with your wife or best friend while your at a coffee shop on demand..

your missing the hole point of the idea. plus if they add in hdmi and they will because you'll have to buy a new one all games get old.

or they reversion it.. you can feed that screen resolution over too a tv screen at native. I have that spec of everything in my laptop i port over 1300x700 on a 32.. everything runs perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS