Razer Chroma Keyboard Available for Preorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Cool looking keyboard, but I can't help but notice that Razer keyboards seem a bit overpriced compared to competing mechanical keyboards. Although I love my Deathadder mouse!

I just bought the Kraken Pro 7.1 not too long ago and don't really like the green motif seeing as all my other Razer gear is blue. It would figure that something like this would come out now and it's too late for me to take the other one back.

My perception while comparing products from various manufactures is that the materials Razer uses are really poor.

I suppose that depends on what you believe to be quality materials versus those that are noticeably less so. I've got an all Razer setup and can say that their materials are just as good as, if not better than, the bulk of what's out there.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I've been rocking the original Blackwidow keyboard for over 4 years now. Still works great. It's built like a tank. weights something like 8 pounds. time to upgrade soon so i can see these new razer mechanical switches.

The_Icon

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
Both are similarly priced, I have to go with Corsair RGB K70 RGB easily. Corsair has incredible build quality and which is in an entirely different league to Razer. The only Razer peripheral I like is their Deathadder mouse.

G

Couldn't agree more, I really like my Deathadder. It's the best mouse I've ever owned anyways. The only Razer keyboard I own is on my secondary rig. It's a Deathstalker, which is not mechanical, but it's okay. My cheap Logitech G105 is just as good, really. The only reason I bought it was it was on sale for $55 at my local Best Buy because it was an open box, otherwise I would have 2 Logitech G105 keyboards hahaha.

I do like the ability to switch backlight colors with this one though. I wish it said what kind of switches it uses, I'm actually looking for a good Cherry MX Brown keyboard and at the moment, they seem hard to find.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I suppose that depends on what you believe to be quality materials versus those that are noticeably less so. I've got an all Razer setup and can say that their materials are just as good as, if not better than, the bulk of what's out there.

Yes it is just a subjective observation and not universal across all their products. Its just something I've noticed from time to time. For example I have a wireless razer headset which is pretty solid in the materials department, but does not have the kind of audio one would expect from a headset at that price. Then while trying out keyboards I found that the razer offering had great mechanical keys at all the right sizes, but the chassis was so cheap that you could bend the whole thing if you wished - Paper thin plastic of the type more commonly found in disposable containers. However priced at a premium I can only suppose for the brand name.

My razer naga mouse practicaly fell apart, got dirty very easily and in general turned out to be not quite as ergonomic as touted.

Let's just say that I will not easily buy razer again.

c123456

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
I've been rocking the original Blackwidow keyboard for over 4 years now. Still works great. It's built like a tank. weights something like 8 pounds. time to upgrade soon so i can see these new razer mechanical switches.

Stop drinking the cool-aid. Cherry's patent expired on their mechanical switches. Razer's switches are clones that they outsourced to a factory in china to make cheaper knock-offs. They're branding them as new and better, but all it does is increase profit margins on a product that already has a really good profit margin.

For the same price, CM QuickFire is probably a better deal. Beyond that, you get into brands such as Filco or Ducky.

What happened here is in direct contrast to what CoolerMaster did with their CM NovaTouch. CoolerMaster built a switch to compete against an already existing switch (Topre) with a focus on performance and reliability. This is sort of reaffirmed by the fact that Topre switches are still under patent. Razer's motivation was to lower costs.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I've owned a couple of Razer mice and they are definitely the best I've ever owned. Had one of their keyboards and it was pretty good, though nothing special really.

gaborbarla

Distinguished
I prefer no "blacklight" bleed on my keyboard. Had a few of these colourful backlight keyboards and I think it looks much more neat and functional when only the letters light up and not everything behind and between the keys. I love the Osmium for this reason. This the cherry mx browns and 100% USB3 ports make it a winner, even if it only has white for the key and Green, Blue Red Cyan for the functions buttons.

I guess everyone has their own experiences and contrary to yours, mine have been somewhat pleasant. I will say that I did have an issue with my Death Adder totally crapping out on me. Thankfully, it was still under their warranty and I got a replacement. I also had some dialogue with their co-founder, Robert Krakoff. His interaction is what helped get the process resolved both quickly and amicably. I suppose my less than favorable remark on their FB page is what got his attention.

That aside, I rather enjoy all my Razer gear. I've thought about a few Corsair products, namely the Vengeance 1500v2 and the M65 mouse.. but I didn't go with either. I may go with the mouse at some point, but my DE still works like a champ.

The differences are solely about color or a lack thereof: the Chroma is adjustable, the BW Ultimate is green, and the Black Widow has no back lighting. That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.